Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Identifying Tiny Black Bumps on Leaves!

Posted by estrellas Northern VA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 17:44

Help! I have a 2-year old Brown Turkey fig tree, and it's been growing like a weed all summer... seemed to be extremely happy. But I just noticed tiny black bumps on the underside of the leaves (they are raised and very tiny, maybe the size of a pinhead). I'm devastated! I want to resolve any problems before they get out of control and ruin the tree. Can anyone help identify what the problem is, and provide suggestions for how to fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Identifying Tiny Black Bumps on Leaves!

It's possible that they can be "scale insects". If there is a sticky film on the lower leaves then it more than likely is. They can be picked off by hand then apply a insecticidal soap. It can sometimes be hard to get rid of them.

o
RE: Need Help Identifying Tiny Black Bumps on Leaves!

I agree with everything tony c m said.

I would clip off the affected leaves and pick off what I can on the insect with my fingers on the rest of the tree and spray everything I can on that tree.

You did not mention if your tree is in a pot or in ground.
If it is in the pot then spray the pot too and keep it away from other plants. Repeat this a couple more times within a week or ten days and you should see good results.

I use Safer Brand Garden safe insect soap. It is non toxic and made of seaweed extract. Get the concentrate so it will be cheaper in the long run. The bottle is like Aqua color and the cap is Purple.

Had this problem a few times with new trees but seems to not return after the first Winter here in Michigan.

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here