Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry figs on inside

Posted by Chellebelle14 10b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 18:18

Looking for some suggestions - My Mission Fig is 3 years old and is doing very well. It appears to be very happy, producing big beautiful fruit. However, while I'm allowing them to ripen on the tree they do occasionally split a little but are pale strawberry colored on the inside and a bit dry. They are still sweet but not as sweet as they could be. Any ideas on what I can do to sweeten them up and make them more "juicy"?

Thanks,
Michelle
San Diego

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry figs on inside

Michelle:

In my somewhat limited experience sweeter and juicier are not compatible. To get juicier means more water during the growth cycle or less dehydration after ripening. That equates to less sweet. Mine are sweetest by far with some dehydration after ripening and not too much water before ripening. That's how I like mine. But I haven't grown Mission, maybe it's different.

o

i have the same problem on one brown turkey and one celeste. the other trees produce moist, soft and sweet figs. all trees have the same enviornment and treated the same way. i am searching for a reason which i can not find. if i can not rectify the situation i will cut all the branches and use 3 or 4 feet of the trunk as a rootstock and propaginate on it branches from the good trees.

o

What criteria are you useing to determine ripeness?

o

Tony3 I have no idea what criteria the above posters are using. However if you were asking because you wanted to know how to tell when a fig is ripe. Just click on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Know When a Fig Is Ripe and Ready to Pick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here