Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noss_gw

The Flying Squirrel!!!

noss
13 years ago

Well, A squirrel finally found the fig tree in the back yard. Took one long enough. It was regular squirrel, a young one, maybe out exploring, or playing.

I walked my boxer, Sandie, out back for her to tend to her business. She was on a leash because the fencing to the front of the house has been down.

When I went with her toward the fig tree to check to see if there were any ripe figs, we found a young squirrel inside the netting! Sandie went berserk and charged at the squirrel and thank goodness she was on a leash, or she would have done a lot of damage to the frame and netting.

The squirrel went nuts (pun intended) and was racing around inside of the netting, bouncing off the netting on all sides as we circled the fig tree and its tail was all fuzzed out like an angry cat's tail.

It climbed into the tree for a few seconds, but we saw it and off it went again, in total panic. It was so funny to see it trying to get away, careening off the netting like that.

Then, it went up high into the tree and seems to have somehow found an opening in the top somewhere because, as we were rounding the one side of the tree, suddenly the squirrel went airborne in an adrenaline-powered leap that was nothing short of totally awesome! I stood there, stunned, not quite believing what I was seeing, but I did indeed see it.

The squirrel must have been 15 FEET in the air and flew in an arc that enabled it to land way down the chain link fence and then race away. Its leap must have carried it 15 FEET away from the tree. I thought, at first, that what I was seeing was a bird, but then realized it was the squirrel! I've never seen anything like that in my life and would give anything if this could have been on video. It looked like the squirrel had been catapulted into the air. I laugh hysterically every time I picture what happened. It was awesome to see.

I wonder if it will try to come back. It sat on the neighbor's back fence for a while, just looking at us, so I made sure I stayed in the side yard for a good while with Sandie and she was drawing a bead on the squirrel. I wanted the squirrel to have a long look at the dog.

The top of the frame for the netting is 8 feet off the ground, so that was a good launching height for the squirrel.

noss

Comments (4)