Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I clip this side sprout on young brown turkey fig tree?

Posted by frankcbd (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 18:34

About 2 weeks ago, I transplanted this baby from an air layering I did. It's been steadily growing, and I noticed that at the bottom, there is a sprout that will branch out eventually. So I'm wondering if I should trim off this piece to allow more energy in the main leader branch (2nd picture). What do you all think? Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I clip this side sprout on young brown turkey fig tree

depends on if you want to make it a Tree or a Bush, i personally like fig tree as bush because they produce more and more likely to come back with cold weather hits.

So i would leave the bottom sprouts alone.

o

General rules for pruning:
1. If it is diseased - cut it
2. If it opens the center of the tree - cut it
3. If two branches cross - cut one
4. Every thing else is a matter of personal taste.

o

How long did it take your air-layer to produce sufficient roote. Is it 8 weeks. Mine has 4 weeks and I DON'T WANT TO OPEN IT TO LOOK because I don't want to disturb things.

o

It was about 5 weeks when I noticed a LOT of roots. We had some good humid weather, which may have sped up the growth. You won't hurt anything by looking at it. Just be very careful once you are ready to remove the plastic, as the roots are extremely brittle. I actually snapped a lot of roots off when i put too much pressure adding soil to the pot, but it's been 3 weeks and the tree never showed signs of fatigue and actually has flourished more than the other branch I transferred more carefully.

o

You have included no information re: your climate zone, nor how you plan to overwinter this small, young tree. This size plant needs lots of TLC for the cool winter weather.

If you allow the sprouts to grow from the bottom portion of the stem, you will eventually have a bushy plant. Allowing only the main stem to grow, and removing bottom shoots will give you a standard, tree-form with a single stem. It depends on what you want. Multi-stemmed bushes will give you more figs, and more insurance in case some stems are killed back in cold weather.

In any event, you can let that small tree grow for a number of years before deciding which way to go. You can always air-layer all the extra stems, and start new trees. You have many options. Good luck, good growing.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here