Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thunderbird1956

VA fig ID

thunderbird1956
12 years ago

I am looking for help to ID a tree that has been in the family for quite some time. TheRoot cutting taken from mature tree in Petersburg, VA just outside of Richmond in 1970. Subsequent cuttings are now in Falls Church, VA. Without being cut back it will grow to 8- 10 feet tall but will also get 4 feet of growth if it is cut down to the ground in one year. It has survived with no die back in winter for the past decade in Falls Church and the past 40 years in Petersburg. It only has one late crop per year, that usually is ready around late August on year old growth. The plant gets about 6 hours of full sun. The outside of the fruit is always a green while the inside is a pinky-purple.

One Year of Growth

Leaf Pics

Fig by Mid August

Comments (18)

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

Can you post pics of the ripe fruit (inside, outside, and the eye) as well asof the foliage from leaves which grew on wood from previous year's growth?

• thunderbird1956
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When the fruit gets to be ripe I will post a picture of the inside and outside. The fruit is getting bigger but they aren't ripe yet. I will post pictures of the fruit once it has turned ripe.

• User
    12 years ago

Your Fig is what we know today as Bataglia green.
    It is in a Family of figs called Verte,in Italy.
    I am sure one Hundred percent it is Bataglia verte(green),and am so Happy it is such a cold resistant cultivar.
    I also have a 5 years old,and in my climate it is also one crop fig.
    Of course if it was growing in California it can have 2 crops there.
    I also like the Flavor and taste of this one very much and is resisting rain reasonably well,without getting sour.

• thunderbird1956
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First thank you very much as I have been wondering the type of fig for quite some time.

I am assuming that is Battaglia with 2 Ts as I don't see it with one T when doing searches on Figs4Fun or Garden Web. Also it looks like the following are all synonyms from what I can tell searching Figs4Fun or Garden Web:
    Battaglia Green, Battaglia Verte, Battaglia Strawberry Verte, & Strawberry Verte
    Is that correct?

Yes it is very cold resistant. I took 2 root cuttings from it 2 years ago potted both of them. One died the first year but the other has been in a pot and can take down to less than 19 degrees F for over 9 hours in a pot without any shelter.

The original fig tree/offspring was at least 10 ft by 10 ft or bigger and very overgrown. Whenever I have seen fig trees I haven't seen anything like it since. When compared to the first tree I got from the original root cutting I would guess that it had to be there for at least a good 20 years prior to 1970 to get that overgrown.

Personally I like the taste, but from my memory the pictures I could find under the above name look pretty close to how the figs look. Since the tree has been hacked down to prevent it from taking over I haven't gotten a crop in a while. I will still post a picture of the insides once the fruit ripens just to confirm.

Is there a good reference book to find out more on the origins of this cultivar?

• User
    12 years ago

Yes You are right Battaglia wit double T

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

Your best source for geneology of known fig cultivars is Condit's monograph http://www.scribd.com/doc/24859273/Fig-Varieties-A-Monograph . Just click on "FIND" under the "EDIT" menu and type in "Verte". Have fun!

• User
    12 years ago

There is so much here say,and ,so inaccurate information,that I found I Condit,book,not so reliable in Id,cultivars.

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

Hearsay information only gets more contaminated the further from the source one goes. At this point in time, the information we hear is likely far more inaccurate than when Eisen and Condit 'heard" it. Bear in mind though that their research, discoveries and inventions were not solely based on hearsay. I'm sure if more fig collectors were more familiar with their works, we would have far fewer problems with synonomy of a particular cultivar and the naming confusion that follows and plagues our mutual hobby.

• PlantsofTurkey
    12 years ago

I doubt you can validly ID based on photos -

Thanks,

Nazmi Cardak

Nazmi Ali Cardak

• thunderbird1956
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just as a final update as I got around to uploading my pics from the last harvest. These are all from the same tree just taken with different cameras and lighting as it was available.

Last year the thought was these were Battaglia Green and I just wanted to see if that was still the case since I was able to get the pictures of the figs.

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi,

I was just wondering if this fig can be identified? The thread got dropped.

Thanks,

noss

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Hello thunderbird1956
    What a beautiful tree.
    What beautiful fruit!
    Thanks for the photos.
    Now I have a standard
    by which to measure my
    own fig trees' growth
    and fruit appearance!

• User
    11 years ago

Yes Fruit and leaf,that fig was sold by Paradiso Nursery as Battaglia.
    You can take it to the Bank Noss.

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi Herman,

Coming from you, I certainly can. :)

I got distracted while reading the posts above and missed where you were talking about being sure it was B Green.

How does it compare in flavor to your Atreano? How does it compare to rain tolerance to the Atreano?

Thanks,

noss

• User
    11 years ago

Flavor,Different but Just as good,if not Better.
    Adaptability to grow in cold rainy climate:Good But Atreano is better.
    Fruit Size:Atreano is larger and has very Large Breba,of good quality,ripe in July.
    Battaglia has only main crop and it ripe a good month or two behind Atreano.
    So You see ,you got to grow both ,one doesn't do the job of the other.
    Also there is another white cultivar similar to Battaglia that is ,a touch better in my climate :
    JH Sourced Adriatic ,is a more robust cultivar,of the same excellent fruit qualities,yet they have other adaptabilities that are different,like size of tree.
    Battaglia remain a small tree while JH Adriatic will grow into a larger tree,and also produce Breba.

• noss
    11 years ago

I will think about both, then. I would like to have a tree from your Atreano because I know how good it is. That may be hard to find. With all the confusion about varieties, I'm thinking that's the key to getting what one will like.

Thanks for elaborating on the figs, Herman,

noss

• thunderbird1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess since this thread was brought up again I should add that with the odd weather this year I got a breba that started to grow. This is the picture from April 21. The only way that I was able to save it was this was a sucker that I had potted up about 3 years ago and took inside when the breba formed to see what happens and so I can take notes of the taste. The breba for the inground tree did not survive.

I also have a question into the Petersburg Garden Society to see if they have anymore information on the history of this tree as it originally came from what is considered to be a historic landmark in Petersburg.

• thunderbird1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With the mild winter are not even into June and I have already pinched back twice with 6 to 8 leaf forming per branch.