Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

No Answer UC Davis

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from UC Davis after ordering cuttings?

I am willing to politely wait, but it would be nice to know if my order was received. If it didn't go through, I'd like to send it in again.

It's probably summer vacation time, so maybe there is nobody there? If so, I wonder how long their server will store emails.

Comments (38)

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

They don't send cutting out in the summer, only winter. They will ship cutting in February. I got a confirmation email that they received my request. cheers, Dennis

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, my order is for dormant cuttings shipped in the spring. They are accepting orders now and it is first come first served, so I wanted to get my order in early.

I have not heard back from them and wondered how long after the order was emailed in did the notice arrive that they had received the order?

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

I got a confirmation back about a month after I ordered. Tim

• thisisme
    13 years ago

No, no, no!!! Its conformation now and ship in January.

• jdreinstein
    13 years ago

How does one get in contact with UC Davis regarding the fig cuttings?

• thisisme
    13 years ago

jdreinstein, here you go.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis National Clonal Germplasm Repository

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. If 1 month is normal to hear back that the order was received, I will wait. I didn't expect an immediate response, but it's been a couple of weeks and I was getting worried that my order was lost in cyberspace.

jdreinstein, I'd have to look up the address, but if you google national clonal germplasm repository UC Davis, you're sure to find it.

The way to get a list of varieties available is to call up the order form.

There is absolutely no description of any kind, just the name of the variety, but the web site figs for fun has many of the Davis varieties listed with a description and often a photo.

If you want to do extra work, what I did was to pick some promising varieties and then used the search feature on this fig forum to see what experience the members here had with the varieties I was interested in. My climate is going to be difficult and I have tried to focus in on good tasting figs that will tolerate container growing and might do OK in my weather.

I ordered pomegranates, too. Holy cow, totally unpronounceable names and very little available as far as descriptions go. I basically threw a dart at the board to chose which to order.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I ordered figs, pomegranates and Mulberries because they all root easily and grow well here.

One of the best figs for climates with a cool short season is Desert King also known as King. UC Davis calls it King and its on the list.

I have a long hot season so I went with.....
    Black Madeira
    Ischia Green
    Panachee
    Adriatic

I used to only go for the dark figs. However birds go for the dark ones too so I have been adding a few White/Green varieties the last couple of years. Most birds can't tell when they are ripe which means more figs for me and less figs for the birds.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Pomegranates from UC Davis root very easily! I had so many root, I shipped one to a friend in the deep south. Shipping a growing plant is not easy or cheap! He sent me green pecans for a liquor I wanted to make. I found the figs a little harder to root. I just heard from him, and he says his pom is healthy and growing like a weed! YAY!

For the record, I did not get a confirmation from UC Davis, but everything I ordered arrived.

Suzi

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Suzi, thank you for posting. I have no idea how many cuttings to expect. Do you remember how many pomegranate cuttings they sent you? I requested cuttings of five different pomegranate varieties. I'm wondering if I need to purchase a few more pots before they arrive.

I also requested four figs and three Mulberries.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I heard back from UC Davis. Not what I was expecting though.

I sent the document to my email program from MS Works. I converted it to an MS Word File but the program converts it back to MS Works format when it sends it to an email program.

It took hours to work thing out to where I could send the document in MS Word format. Now I'm at the end of the line again.

• noss
    13 years ago

I have never ordered cuttings from UC Davis before, but would like to do so.

Is it better to snail-mail the order form in to them?

After reading the last post by thisisme, I wouldn't have a clue as to how about to convert anything into anything on the computer. All I was is one cultivar, but I'm such a dope that I'll probably get everything all wrong. :[

Can an order be called in, or is that not a good idea even if it's possible?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

noss

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I'm currently visiting UC Davis. I passed by their office yesterday and they are certainly under staffed. They just hired a new person to do the paperwork.
    I sampled about 150 varieties yesterday, going back today to sample another 150. Most of the varieties didn't impress me, I became picky after the 10th fig. The ones that really impressed me are those that require caprification such as King and Zidi, but there are some that were excellent common fig.
    Some trees are really vigorous, but one of the popular ones like Black Madeira is only 5 ft tall for a 50 year old tree, it's in a bad shape.

To answer your question, they probably have your order, but as the time gets close to december you may get a response then. I'll ask them today if I pass at their office about when will they send confirmations.

Bass

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Noss I don't think the Request Form gives you the option of sending it by snail mail. I tried to find a way to send it from MS Works and searched for hours and downloaded updates and fixes and I have MS Works 9.0. In the end I gave up and started looking for an old version of MS Office Professional XP and installed it and updated it. None of the work arounds worked with MS Works. I could convert it but it always changed it back to a Works Document when I sent it to the Email Recipient.

13 years ago

Of the cuttings I ordered, I received 5 (five) of each varietal with the exception of two that I REALLY wanted, and they sent me only one!! Of course those cuttings did not root, so they are on the list again this year.

My cuttings were really long, so I ended up cutting 2 bud pieces off of each (essentially doubling my order), and improving my chances for success.

Also, my shipment came in 2 parts (almost a month apart). I was sad that my Syrah grapevines didn't arrive, but then they were delivered later!!

I really appreciate all the work they do for us, and the opportunity they provide to us!

When you get a whiff of those cuttings when they arrive, they smell like a spring breeze!!

Good luck with this years order!

Suzi

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I spent sometime today at the UC Davis germplasm office. I met the people who fill in the orders, they are Bernie and a new lady. They said they're two weeks behind, if Bernie fills enters the order you may not get a response, but if the new lady enters it usually within two weeks you will.
    I mentioned that someone didn't get a response back yet, she said if it's over 3 weeks and no response to send it the order again.
    I hope this helps.

Bass

13 years ago

Nice to know that confirmations for all of us are on the way eventually, and understandable that they are really backed up!

My confirmation just came today, the 25th of August, and I sent my order in on July 29th. It is copied here:

Thank you for the order. Your order number is XXXXXXX and is now part of our winter dormant cuttings that will be shipping out sometime in March 2011.

Sincerely,

Mary Parker

Secretary

USDA, ARS, NCGR

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Thank you Suzi. I guess I better figure on sixty pots then.

Hey Bass did you find any outstanding figs that don't require caprification?

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Same here just recieved confirmation in same wording as
    Desertdance .
    Order was placed back in April .
    I placed early as 2 years back i placed order for 2 types and recieved 1 type.Trying to get the other type this time around.
    The one type (Santa Cruz Dark) i dont care for the fruit and will chop up and put up the scion for auction this winter.
    Martin
    Ebay ID
    Dieseler6z92

• noss
    13 years ago

I don't have a clue as to how I did it, but I ended up with a form to order cuttings, but it was like it was not for just regular people, but a study program. Does anyone know about that other form? When I clicked on it, it was already filled out with the number of the cutting.

I am so a reverse computer wiz it's not funny.

noss

• ajwalsh172
    13 years ago

I did the same; for the box, "Describe your planned research use of this NPGS Germplasm", I just put "Cultivation" and submitted my order electronically. I received confirmation through email within minutes. I tried to order something else (Bababerry cuttings) in the past using this method, and it went through. But, I didn't get the cuttings due to crop failure or something of that nature (I don't remember why, it's been a few years now). They kept in touch with me through email to let me know. So, I'm pretty sure that your order will go through if you send it electronically.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

noss check your email.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received confirmation today. So they received my order. Now, to wait until next spring.

5 cuttings of each variety? Oh dear. I'm going to be buried in figs and pomegranates.

I'm practicing rooting cuttings so I'll be ready. I'm getting so I have pretty good luck with grapes, but still struggling with other plants.

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I'm glad I went and tasted the figs. I found some surprising varieties that tasted excellent. Some that have a reputation of being excellent did not stand out. I tasted over 300 figs so only the best stood out. Some were in a really bad hsape while others are about 30' tall.
    I'm putting up a page with all the varieties that I tasted and comments on their taste. It will be added to my website within the next two weeks.

Bass

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I have posted some pictures along with comments on fruit flavor of the UC Davis collection.
    you can view it at UC Davis Collection
    There will be more photos and comments added later on.

Bass

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bass, many thanks for posting photos and descriptions.

Big bummer that Zidi requires a pollinator. I ordered it, and if I can get it to root, I'll have to pass them on to some one in California.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks Bass. Looking forward to seeing the rest. I'm so glad to see that you specify whether they need pollination or not. No fig wasps here.

• tmc2009
    13 years ago

I sent my order in on 8-23 and received a confirmation number on 8-26. Where do you find the list of other fruits and nuts from UCDavis that you can request cuttings from? I have the list of figs but didn't see other lists.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Tom
    here is link to main page. scroll down to middle of page and you will see them.
    Best Health
    Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/site_main.htm?modecode=53-06-20-00

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Its been almost three weeks since my re-sent order was received. No conformation number has been received yet. I'm not worried but I understand the concern of others. After all conformation numbers are a good thing and having one is better than not having.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Yahoo!!! Got an order conformation today.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who helped me, I just received a confirmation order from UC Davis for the cuttings I ordered on Sept. 3rd.

Just wanted to thank everyone who stuck with me. :)

noss

13 years ago

If you have a confirmation, and think of something else or something you forgot to order, you can just send them a new order and they will add it. I have done this twice, and both times they combined my orders.
    Suzi

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Thanks Suzi, there are a few other figs I would like to have.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Done. I added four more green figs from Bass's list that were listed as excellent tasting.

Part of my experiment is to use dark figs to attract birds away from excellent tasting green skinned figs. Wish me luck. If it all works out as I hope. I will no longer begrudge birds having their share of dark figs. Just so long as they leave the green ones alone.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi thisisme--You are a better man than I. :) I want ALL the figs. LOL!

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I only have so much room noss. I'm removing sixteen trees this year to make room. Come Spring I should have three more raised beds and 10-12 more trees. After that the 80 cuttings will arrive.

I wonder if I can get life insurance before my wife finds out?lol

• noss
    13 years ago

Thisisme--Better be real nice to your wife. LOL! You could have a worse addiction and look at how systematic you are being in keeping only the figs that you really like. And look how good for you the figs are. They are amazingly nutritious fruits.

noss