Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtddigs

This Little guy is supposed to be a Chicargo Hardy

mtddigs
11 years ago

I purchased this little guy locally , it supposed to be a Chicargo Hardy ...... Is it ? I hope so ......I have read on the fourm how much every one likes them. No figs on it . Again, didnt look to happy in the pot , this is my most imature fig tree . I was going to try the cardboard box cover filled with leaves and covered with a tarp ......for the winter, again Im looking for feed back ...... I like the idea of wintering the trees outside, last year mice damaged some of my trees in the shed that I wintered them in. I have an attached unheated garage that I used the year before, it was somewhat crowded . There are several mature fig trees that I know of in my area that winter outside (with protection) They seem to do great. I plan to take a cutting from one of them in the fall ( with permission , I hope) its a huge tree with a thick trunk , dark purple medium size fruit , beautiful tree , south side of a house , planted close to the house and sunny spot

Comments (5)

• bobp299
    11 years ago

Diggs, I believe it is a Chicago Hardy. I just planted one this year (MAY) and it looks the same as mine. My main trunk is somewhat bigger and I do have figs but not ripe yet.

I sprinkle a little bit of lime granual around the base every month and it seems to love it. Also, have some figs right now but small and not ripe yet.

I have another tree (dont know what variety)which is now five years old and was planted from a cutting. This tree produces ons crop a year and usually I get first ripe fig around Labor day.

I wrap that tree every winter (Northern Delaware 32 miles south of Philly). All I do is wrap all the branches that I keep with burlap (doubling the burlap and wrapping a couple times) held on by rubber bands and then cover the tree with contractor trash bags leaving the top partially open and then cover the top with a plastic bucket.

In my opinion when you wrap the trees you have to let it breath a little to prevent mildew. Seems to work for me, and that tree now grows to 10 feet every year producing a lot of figs.I uncover around April when temp at night is above 32. Just my 2 cents worth,which works for me.

You can get a lot of great ideas on this forum for winterizing fig trees that will work and be great.

Good Luck with the little guy.

Bob

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

you need to mulch your plant but before you do add a bag of black cow and a cup of lime then use 3 inches of mulch or more. your tree looks stressed. without proper leaf coverage you may get some sun burn going on.

• mtddigs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good advice , I did it today , Lime and mulch. I skipped the cow manure , I don't want to push growth as we get late in the season , I am not sure on what to do with this fig tree for the winter , wrap or garage

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    11 years ago

good point, I forgot your in zone 6 and your growing season is about over. Here in South Carolina my fig trees are still putting on more figs. your tree is so small you can cover it with leaves to protect it. I wouldn't dig it up. take some chicken wire or something similar and make a round bin out of it. put it around the small tree then fill the bin up with your leaves this fall. next spring remove the bin and use the leaves as mulch adding more lime yearly because leaves do change the ph especially oak leaves. Also stay away from any walnut tree leaves as they will kill your fig tree.

• Tony3
    11 years ago

Mtddigs I usually don't bring figs in until end of November. The weather doesn't get cold enough to damage them here until December, or January. Two years ago I got a Madeleine des deux saison and left it out till the end of December. It was a small rooted cutting and I was waiting for it to drop it's leaves. I finally pulled the leaves and put it away. It survived with only minor damage to the tip of the plant.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!