Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Bronx Hit By Hail Storm

At approximately 7:15 PM, the worst hail storm I ever witnessed, blustered through the Bronx this evening and caused severe damage to my beautiful fig trees.

My heart broke as I looked over all the stripped off leaves laying over the ground. I lost at lease 50% of leaf area to the hail, which were the size of small ice cubes, but to my amazement, I think damage to the actual figs themselves, was minimal. Now I'm wondering if the leaves will have enough undamaged tissue to generate enough stored nutrients for next year's growth?

As I look around, the neighborhood trees look like a buzz-saw ran wild. Shredded leaves cover the ground and lawns. The musky smell of bruised fig leaves hangs heavy in the hot, humid air. I hope I will not lose my trees.

I never would have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes! I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Frank, from, Da-Bronx

pauly22: My beautiful "ATREANO" trees are wrecked, and shredded to pieces.....

Comments (6)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Wow Frank that's awful! Such storms are fairly common down but not back east.

I'd suspect more fruit damage than what is apparent. Maybe not as most fruit heals over even open wounds.

Perhaps some of the fruit needs to come off so the plants don't go into winter with low carbohydrate reserves.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fruitnut:

Thanks for your kind words.

Last evening I was in shock when I saw how badly the trees were damaged. I stood there, looking around, with my mouth open, in disbelief.

This morning, a quick inspection shows that the green, hard figs, have basically survived without harm. I'm just worried about the ultimate survival of the trees, which now have very few, undamaged leaves, Most of the leaves are shredded and punctured.

I'll light a candle, and do a lot of praying, .... maybe the trees will be recuperate and be fine come next spring.

Good luck to all .

FDV

• paully22
    12 years ago

Frank - This is awful news. This happen to me once with a sudden cold snap and it took a year for my trees to recover. Just one night and all the leaves turned brown and young green stems were fried. Your trees will recover & Fruitnut's recommendations is good to adopt to help the trees. Its a shame to see many figs have to be taken out at almost their prime to balance the tree immediate needs. I would feel the same shock if this were to happen to my trees. So many hours & expectations and nature have to rear its unpleasant surprise. I am sure with your experience the trees will bounce back well.

Original Author
    12 years ago

paully22:

Thanks for the kind encouragement.

I'm going to do as fruitnut suggests, i.e. pull off the figs to limit the stress that the trees will go through while recovering.

I'm wondering if I should just allow nature to take over until onset of dormancy, and hope for the best for Spring 2012. What if trees start to flush out a new set of leaves to replace the ones that were stripped off? Do I allow them to grow to size, or should I just nip out all newly forming leaves to reserve the strength already stored in the trees? I'm not a botanist, so I don't know if this course is correct or not.

Anybody, ......please advise. What would you do??????

Thanks, FDV

• paully22
    12 years ago

OK Frank....... I am no botanist but going by logic I would say let the new leaves stay. I believe by pinching the new leaves, the plant would would expand more energy trying to make replacements. Leaves will help to restore vigor for the plant as the leaves helps to process intake of nutrients the roots feed on. Just my 2 cents attempt to justify logic. If your plant do not make it and if you don't mind trying my Atreano variants, you are most welcome to write me personally for cuttings.

Original Author
    12 years ago

paully22:

Without trying to sound too mawkish, your offer was very generous, and, quite a touching gesture of friendship, ... and, all in the name of figs. Thank-you so much.

I'll keep you posted, and let you know what's going on with my trees. I'm optimistic that the trees will be fine. Like I said, I'll light a candle, ....

Best regards, Frank

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County