Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
picking figs75% ripe

Posted by janoyan (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 20:10

Thanks budbackeast for your comments . One for the home team.

Janoyan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: picking figs75% ripe

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 0:47

Hi Janoyan,

What is your post in reference to?

Thanks,

noss

o

Hi Noss:

The post is in reference to figs harvested,away from hungry birds, when only 75% ripe. Leaving it out in a warm place but for a very short time, perhaps 2 days, making sure they do not start to rot, if kept out too long.

My next step is to cut them in 4 sections, in a tray, on their backs and freeze them. In a few hours they are rock hard and ready for the ZipLock bags. After removing as much of the air out of the bags as possible.

Good Luck.

Janoyan

o

hey viv, janoyan may be on to something. if you are gonna make fig preserves why not not use figs that are 75% ripe? you are going to cook them down in sugar and they will probably hold together better than ripe ones.

when you buy figs from a fig grower already picked, most of the figs aren't completly ripe. for making preserves and jam that doesn't seem like a bad idea but for eating, i like them ripe to the bone.

THE BIRDS WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT BEAT THEM TO THE FIGS!!!
fernando

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 17:50

Hi Fernando,

I've heard that, if you are going to make preserves, you should pick them when almost ripe instead of ripe. That keeps them from disintegrating during cooking.

I'm all for using bird netting because I like to eat figs fresh and nice and ripe.

I use small pieces of netting and clothespin them around ripening figs. Spot-netting-and it works well for me on the potted figs and for the inground figs, too. I put the netting around as wide an area as possible so the birds can't get to the figs through the netting.

Now, I'm going to be looking at the fabric stores to see if I can find some netting material that is so fine, not even Drosiphila Melanogaster can get through it.

I've got netting like that on two of the Dr. Maher improved Celestes right now. The one I ate last night had a solid drop of honey blocking the eye. It was delicious and different from my other ics. They're just babies right now, so time will tell if they're a different type of improved Celeste.

Viv a.k.a. noss

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here