Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amjg66

Fig cuttings

amjg
14 years ago

Hello my name is Anthony, I am new to the form. I found all of you after a search for the Sal's Fig. I am looking for a cutting. If anyone can help me.

Thank you

Comments (32)

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

You have chosen a very expensive fig tree to get a hold of. This tree shows up on ebay from time to time from some very good fig collectors. Good luck!

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Anthony,
    this is nice forum along with Figs4Fun forum which you can easily register to as well, afterwards introduce yourself there, post some things to get started about figs like questions you may have. Then in fall is better time with more options , be it from members, UcDavis scion, Encanto farms scion, or members as fall going into winter is a better time to get cuttings like UcDavis you can submit by November to recieve them for shipping costs in February, Encanto farms starts his list in February and members usually trim there plants in late fall when trees are dormant. Just dont be a stranger and register then right away ask for the cream of the crop as some see this as well not so good for a better lack of words. Feel your way around and you will be fine we all have to start one way or another you will be fine. Hope this helps , if you need links to those area;s mention just ask and members surely will post em. Tomorrow i can post some when its not past my bedtime. ; )

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Anthony
    here are the links to look at the bottom 2 have sals scion in winter time. The top one is another good forum to enjoy.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/

http://encantofarms.com/home.html

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=12146

• wildforager
    14 years ago

I didn't see Sal's on the USDA list. I wonder if it will be available this winter or not?

-Little John

• sally1of1
    14 years ago

Hi Antony,

Ebay has a Sal's - 9" in 20 oz foam cup - listed for $27.-
    and 4 days left on bidding
    might want to check it out

• amjg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am new to the growing of figs and I found out that the sal's fig was adapted to Long Island,NY and that where I live. Sorry if I stepped put of bounds by jumping in with such a request. I saw the ebay post but I didn't know how to verify if it was a true sal's fig

• botanical_bill
    14 years ago

Ok, Ill be the newbee that asks, whats so big about a sals fig?

• wildforager
    14 years ago

Good question, everyone seems to be so hot after it. I have a friend who has three figs all claiming to be Sal's and each being a different plant. I guess some sellers will even take advantage of the demand in unscrupulous ways.

-Little John

• dieseler
    14 years ago

That ebay seller (Fignstuff) selling the Sals you can trust.
    I have dealt with him have about 5 of his plants and they are as advertised. Some of his plants he bought himself at Belleclare nursery the Sals is one of them.
    He is to be trusted period.
    There are some bad sellers and some of the best of the fig forums that sell also.
    This is one of the BEST PERIOD.
    The sellers cannot advertise on the forums as its against the rules therfore they like to remain silent but i can say he is to be TRUSTED, please do not ask for personal names.
    I have been forum member for little over 4 years and i would not mention this if it were not the absolute truth.
    Best Health
    Martin

• fignewby
    14 years ago

I have a small Sals plant, send me an e-mail. C.H.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    14 years ago

I looked up Sal's just because of some of the comments here, and I guess it's just good in the East coast where you guys have those fierce winters.

I am opting out of Sal's. I live in a true Mediterranean climate (So CA Desert...HOT!), and I'm sticking with Celeste (or whatever that fig is that I purchased from Gurneys), Panachee, and Violette De Bordeaux.

I think it's very perceptive of you to pick a variety that grows so well in your climate. Climate is key to having any good luck with your plants. I tend to have zone jealousy now and then, but it stops with your winters!! Hang in!! And good luck in your quest!!

Suzi

PS Mine are in containers, and on a drip system. I LOVE the drip thing! You could go away for a month or two, and they still get water!

• jstall
    14 years ago

Well Anthony it looks like I did the same as you. My first or second post was asking for the cream of the crop. I am also looking for a true Sal's fig tree. I appologize to everyone offended. I am starting my fig collection late in life and every month and year counts. My great grandfathers on both side came from Sicily and brought fig trees with them, should say sumggled them. I am getting some cutting off these trees this January and will share them when I get them started. The farms they purchased and lived on are still in the family, in Louisiana. Good luck Anthony and if I get a Sal's and get it started I will let you know.

• fignewby
    14 years ago

Hello Anthony, please set up your membership profile so you can receive e-mail. Thanks. C.H.

• ejp3
    14 years ago

Amig, I have 2 varieties of Sals and live on Long Island. But dont want to take cuttings until the plants are dormant. If you want to wait until then send me an e-mail.

• dieseler
    14 years ago

No apology needed.
    We all have to start somewhere i understand and i dont mean to come off as a ole prune as many here know im not. I wish these machines could show expressions when i try to explain things as they can seem much sharper than what i truly mean.
    That said if you wish i have Edible landscapings Sals my other TRUE sals as some call it is much to small this year for cuttings and the best time for most members to send scion out is in winter time when trees are dormant.
    Some have paid dearly for plants i know i have upwards of 145.00 for 1 dormant 6 inch plant but that very unusual for me.Mostly in 20 to 50 dollar range, for something i truly want im willing to pay for im not rich but this is passion and if i want it i will pay dearly for it. Some folks try to get a little back for there trouble and rightly so but like i said in above post 1 cannot ask for money outright on this forum its against the rules and 1 can get there account suspended for 6 months or even permanent so consider shipping expense in most cases and sent out first as a good intent gesture.
    I have met some very nice folks over the years i mean very nice and we have sent back and forth plants you will see what i mean if you stick around forums long enough.
    One fella even sent me some fig jam as we traded and talked via email. I hope some understand here i dont mean to come off as mean so i explained a little further. Also without further type here to keep things short there are 1 some have run accros that ripped members off by never reciprocating back anything at all and went on ebay to sell.
    Some know who that is.
    Best Health
    Martin

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Yes Martin,

Most of us know who the rip off is, it is a shame that some folks will stoop that low, but almost all the members on this forum as well as Figs4fun are darn straight shooters (meaning honest people)
    Happy Gardening to Ya'll

Cecil

• amjg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

H.C. I am working on the email thing. Everyone who has offered me help with this, I thank you and I can wait until fall. Also I was given some 8 bare root cutting today by a very generous man near my job in Queens. I was passing and stopped to talk to him about his beautiful trees. This is a hardy tree that he has never wrapped and this winter temps fell as low as 5 degrees. I potted them up tonight and if they take I will have something to trade.

thank you again
    Anthony

• retnavythom
    13 years ago

Hello from San Diego, CA.

I am new to fig trees but I am looking to get started with a couple of cuttings and was hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I think I am probably interested Brown Turkey or Black jack fig but since I am new to all of this I would be very pleased for any input. I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help.

Thanks again
    Ret Navy Thom, San Diego CA 92120

• gorgi
    13 years ago

retnavythom,
    Welcome to this GW/FF.
    Also check out the F4F/FF:
    http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/

Lucky you! The owner is also in SD, CA.
    It should be very easy and convenient for
    you to get started with figs...

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Ok, Ill be the newbee that asks, whats so big about a sals fig?
    ==========================================================
    After I went through these postings man you beat me to the question.
    I have 10 Fig trees and with God's will if all my cuttings will work I will be having 26 in total but none of them is Sal. I am curious now about this variety. How does it taste, How early can it produce Ect I am going to start some research.

• noss
    13 years ago

Is there a just plain, Sal's variety, then? I know there are Sal's EL, Sal's Corleone and a Sal's Gene varieties. Are there even more?

Every time I think I've understood something, I find out I understand nutting. :o

Welcome to the newest newbies!

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Noss,

At one time James Robin had his Sicilian Black fig listed as Sal's. However, that particular variety is completely different than Sal's Corleone and Sal's EL (AKA...Gene's Sal). I personally traced the heritage of JR's Sicilian Black and know that it came from Sicily, to New Jersey, to El Paso, Tx., to Metairie,La., to Jame Robin. It is a very good tasting fig; however, it can split under heavy rains. It handles light rain without any problem. The honey that drips from this fig can turn red in color and this fig can have a pronounced concord grape flavor at times.

Dan

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,

I have a Sicilian Black that came from WVA and he knows JR. I'll have to ask him what the source of his SB is. If it came from JR, then I will actually have a Sicilian Black that came from Sicily! How about that?

Yes, I've been told it will split in the rain, so I won't be surprised if and when it does. I have a Sal's Gene tree I won from Herman and Gene told me it's supposed to be the same as the Sal's EL.

I can say that if it came from Herman, then the Sal's Gene tree I have is really a Sal's Gene and if he likes it, then I would think it's got to be a good tree to have.

I would say the same for you, Dan, as well as quite a few others in the forums. I appreciate the people here who are honorable and truthful about their figs and their sources because they want to keep good records. Thanks to all of you. You know who you are. :)))))

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Noss,

I really like the Sal's EL fig that I have. IMO, it's fruiting characteristics are fairly close to that of Bass's Dark Portuguese, which I also like. However, I give a slight edge to Gino's fig for growing in our climate. Gino's can handle adverse conditions a bit better and I find them generally a bit sweeter in my yard.

FYI, I recently purchased a professional grade food dehydrator. This year I intend to dry figs from all of my different cultivars in order to gauge their ability to produce good dried figs. That is a new fruiting characteristic that I want to study. I "believe" that Native Black and LSU Gold will produce excellent dried figs. Time will tell.

Dan

• retnavythom
    13 years ago

I was lucky enough to go to Encanto Farms and I am now the proud owner of two figs... Flanders and Vista (I think?). I got to spend a very enjoyable hour listing to everything I every wanted to know about figs and the differences between different types. It was a real education and it only made me want to plunge in even further. I can inmage my little back yard in a few years without an inch of free space. I know have one orange, lemon and avocado (that produces fruit), a hand full of green seedless grap vines, a few loquat seedling and now 2 figs. Have to change the house name to Casa de Fruit Salad! Thanks for the info.

• noss
    13 years ago

The best of luck with the newbies, in finding just the right fig varieties that will do the best in your areas. I don't even want trees that are hard to raise in our climate here. Thankfully, I think most of the babies I've gotten since joining these forums are those that will do well for me. I do have several that might not do well in the rainy times, but just in case it's dry, then I'll have those to eat. Like, when Celeste drops her figs if it's hot and dry--There are others that luu-huuuv that weather.

My LSU Purple is putting out brebas and so is the Brown Turkey/TX Everbearing and the LSU Golden Celeste with the pink pulp and small eye. I didn't know the Golden Celestes put out brebas. Dan, should I remove the brebas from any of those varieties?

The little Gino's treelet is popping out buds and looking real good. Cute little thing--I think it will do some good growing this season and the HC is full of buds that are beginning to open up. It really liked being potted up to a larger pot.

Herman told me that Gino's is a winner all-round, so I'm looking forward to working with that tree.

The little LSU Gold-Not that Gene gave to me kept its leaves for most of the winter, then sat dormant for several weeks and has now begun to leaf out again. That's a mystery fig and should be fun to observe.

Anthony! You did well getting those cuttings from a local person. I do like to know the names of the kinds of figs I have, but if I can find a local tree that does great here and tastes good, I surely wouldn't pass it up because it's going to be a winner and never mind what the name of it is.

Plus, it's a given that you'll find some winners up there in the NY area.

I grew up in NJ and I NEVER saw a fig tree in all the young years of my life!!! None of my friends--even the Italian kids EVER mentioned figs to me. Maybe they were such a part of their lives that they just didn't think to mention them to me. All these many years, until I joined the forums, I always thought you couldn't grow figs that far North. Hah! Was I ever wrong about that.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Noss,

Italians love their figs even more so than we Cajuns. Find ANY areas where groups of Italian immigrants settled in this country and you will find some good figs. FYI.....Smith and Native Black were brought by Italian immigrants into the New Orleans area many years ago.

This summer I will be hunting for new fig cultivars in a section of South Louisiana where Italian immigrants established the still thriving Strawberry Industry many years ago.
    ------------------------------
    retnavythom,

You may end up like many of us......looking for more land to plant even more fruit trees. Best of luck to you.

Dan

• angelonia_anne
    13 years ago

I'm looking for a hardy fig for new york state. Any suggestions on where to buy?

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Noos, I agree with Herman. You are going to LOVE Gino's. I mean LOVE! I have 2 Gino's and got a mess of cuttings from Herman last year. I'm trying to propagate as many of these babies as I can. Last year I had so mamy purple and blue figs on my tree I had to take a picture. You're going to enjoy Gino's. Now in July when your tree is full of figs, post some pics. cheers, Dennis

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis,

Now I really can't wait to taste the Gino's. :)

Being a reverse computer wiz, I'm not sure I will ever learn how to post photos in the forums. :\

I haven't heard anything negative about Gino's figs from anyone yet.

FWIW, my Celeste in the back yard starts having ripe figs in the middle of June. I wonder how many different kinds of regular Celestes there are. The one in the back is from Winsboro, Louisiana. It is a Celeste that the grower's father had while he was growing up. Nice heirloom.

Thanks,

noss

• noss
    13 years ago

I mentioned that it looked like some of the trees were putting out brebas, but I looked again today and there are leaves sprouting out in the same places, so I guess they aren't brebas, but regular crop figs.

noss

• Ayala57
    11 years ago

Hello, everyone!
    I am happy to find a group of people that are interested in all about figs just like me. I grew up visiting my grand parents in the valley of Texas with a fig tree as big as a small house. They were small and green and pink inside. We would gorge ourselves at each visit.I want to grow a variety of figs I currently have one Celeste that I bought 11 years ago. It is only 3 feet tall and barely produces. My soil is mostly hard dry clay. I've since rooted one from my neighbors tree, hers were all fermented this year so we didn't get any fruit. These are large green and red inside.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner