Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutritionwriter

What should be mixed in the soil?

nutritionwriter
13 years ago

I'm planting an Italian fig tree (bush). Need to know what should be mixed with the soil. Would that be cedar mulch, compost and potting soil? The drainage is very bad in the red clay of Sacramento in my yard. I have two black mission fig trees, 5 feet high growing okay. How often should I water them? I just planted them last month.

Now I'm getting a bare root Italian black Roma fig bush/tree. What kind of soil should I plant it in? I also have a lemon and an orange tree in the same yard.

How often should I water the fig trees? It never runs in the summer. Rain here begins in Oct. and lasts until late April or May. How do I tell if I water too much? The big problem is the slow drainage.

Also, can a black mission fig tree grow in a container? I have another one just a few inches high in a 15 inch planter. I can plant it in a half wine barrel (wood) that holds 4 cubic feet of soil. What happens if it outgrows that? I can't put another tree in the ground. Can I use it for grafting onto the other fig tree to make more fruit for the house? At what age can I graft it, and what do I graft, the trunk of a 6 month old tree or one of the branches when it grows bigger in a few years?

Where can I find answers to these questions--any site online? Thanks for information. Also, if I choose to donate one of my small black mission fig trees growing in a container (as I have 2, about 6 inches tall), would a university take it, or is there any organization here in Sacramento?

Thanks

A.H.

A.H.

Comments (2)