Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

My Yard Pictures

dieseler
13 years ago

Here are my yard pictures showing fig trees.

They all get stored in garage for winter each season.

Enjoy

{{gwi:813558}}

{{gwi:813275}}

{{gwi:813277}}

some others not seen that are being propagated and transplanted in shaded area's.

Best Health

Martin

Ebay ID

Dieseler6z92

Comments (8)

• noss
    13 years ago

Martin,

You really have a great setup for your figs and they look so healthy and pretty. I can see they are carefully and lovingly tended to.

noss

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

Martin,

Your figs look great but also young. How long have you been at this?

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Girlbug2.
    long long story Girlbug2.
    To keep short and simple i grew up as toddler eating figs off grandmothers tree with my older brother, she was my biggest influence in gardening in general and had an inground in Chicago. Dad always brought home different types of figs from the club but i always favored the dark ones they tasted better to me.

I first stared i think 2001 give or take a year with inground tree another long story and another soon afterwards but those died following season due to my negligense.
    Martin

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Martin that is good looking stuff. Do you bury your pots in the garden. I do. I found that the ones I bury they get vigorous and taller. I had one I buried in 8 gallons pot in the ground produced 24 figs. It is only 4 years old. But getting the pots out of the ground it is a real exercise.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Foolishpleasure,
    no never put the pot in a hole inground. For me they grow fine and do good as they are and i get plenty of figs
    to eat during the season.

I have gave it thought but its just more work for me.
    I have the room to plant them all in ground also without pots as im on nearly half acre but again so much work as they would have to be all buried or wrapped very very well in my climate way to much work as im only one that care for them .
    Martin

• fespo
    13 years ago

Martin, I live close by you. Im in Homer Glen. Someday I hope we can meet up. Thanks Frank

• sherryinmaine
    13 years ago

Hi, they are lovely!
    Year before last, we had a well below zero freeze that lasted a few days. Despite my attempts, I lost 5 of 6 fig plants, some small, some larger.
    How do you get figs in zone 5?
    I'm new at this, I put mine in the garage that November, like many folks told me to & I insulated them. I read another post that said, I think, VdB was good for cold climate? How can I get figs here in Maine? I dont live in a city, so perhaps it's a little warmer with houses around and such . . .
    I got excited again this year after reading more of the fig forum. (dh died almost a year ago from long, painful, awful cancer, so I had no interest in anything for quite a while before/after his death)
    I live in Maine. What is best fig for here? Yes, I know I need to grow in pots. (I meet so many people who live here part time and then go back to Florida. They all tell me the same thing-- 'cant have figs here- they're just houseplants here') I'm jealous of their Fl. heat (only for the figs, not for me)
    I bought a 'peter's honey' and another 'desert king' (lost the last one to cold weather)which is growing figs. Peters honey also has tiny figs on it. Guess there's no way for them to live to ripeness, is there.

Oh well, I love to grow stuff; maybe someday I'll get real about growing figs here.
    Did I say someone is building me a greenhouse? Yay! (just out of recycled windows & such, but will put in one of those propane heaters, I think, unless you all have a better idea that's just as inexpensive)
    Sherry

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Frank yes perhaps one day.
    Hi SherryinMaine, i grow them in containers and place in full sun. They are stored in attached unheated garage. When young they tend to get some limb damage in storage and as each season goes by they get less damage. Some types are just not as hardy as others. Violet Bordeaux,Dark Portutguese,Hardy Chicago, Sals to name a few do well here in storage and during season.
    Dont be shy and keep asking questions to get answers you want. Many here will help you including me unless i dont know answer. ; )
    Martin

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living