Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jo_h_fe

Growth Stimulant Sprays

jo_h_fe
13 years ago

Hi to u all....

My name is Joe, a fig enthusiast from Canada. I have been growing figs in pots since 2004. This forum is great to learn because of the great expertise shared by you all...thanks.

I read in notes from Belclare Nurseries, they experimented with growth stimulant sprays on a San Pedro, purple/black fig called Perkounis. This fig only produced brebas. Upon spraying this stimulant on the eye of the female figs on a half point of a 28 day cycle, they obtained a main crop of figs, seven days later. They repeated this for several years in a row. Then stopped the spray on the fig and found out the fig tree adapted somehow to continue fruiting self-fertile figs henceforth.

Does anyone here know or can elaborate further the details of this and what are the names of the sprays mentioned. It is noted the sprays came Edible Landscaping (Afton, Virginia)

Any news would be appreciated...

Joe

Comments (14)

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Last season or season before that i called Edible landscaping asking for this spray as i was interested at the time.
    They told me they no longer sell it or use it.
    Its called Gibberellic acid spray.
    Gibberellic acid can be used to increase fruit set when pollination is incomplete. The fruit produced may be partly or entirely seedless. The application of gibberellic acid has increased the total yield of greenhouse tomatoes.

It also can increase seed germination amongst other things it is said.

Martin
    Ebay id
    Dieseler6z92

• jo_h_fe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Martin thanks for the info....keep up w/ the fine picture work of your figs

Joe

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Joe,
    if your able to get the spray online from a garden supply outfit and use it please one day post back about how and what the spray actually did for you.
    Im always curious about things like this.
    Thanks
    Martin

• cath41
    13 years ago

I keep wondering if there is a spray that promotes shoot growth that is commercially available. If so, maybe it would induce Black Ischia to grow reasonably rapidly in spite of the heavy FMV. This might permit it to get large enough and old enough to outgrow the FMV.
    Cath

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Cath41
    i spent some long nights looking for information on FmV when it first perked my curiousity.
    I did learn that FmV is in the cells of plant so i kinda doubt any spray would hasten the growth but 1 never gives up right ?
    Anyways from what i read the cells are suppose to multiply at very fast rate and make plant grow as they do this and some plants for some reason deal with it fine but with ischia its different maybe a different strain of FmV as there is actually one than one.
    Since FmV is "Slow moving virus" ive read that its been reported with success that by extracting the meristem when it first emerges and propagated is the best method to develop plant FMV free but very expensive and not for the average gardener. One cannot extract meristem with out special microscope, tools, and in a sterile enviorment as its to small to the human eye at that perfect stage and usually not infected cause virus moves slowly in plant.
    But thats ok i try to graft eventually a bud onto my fastest growing fig plant next season if i can time it right and if it takes it will be fun to see what actually happens from there.
    Martin

• cath41
    13 years ago

Very interesting, Martin. Hope it works for you. Anything that will get Black Ischia moving would be a boon to us all.
    Cath

• cath41
    13 years ago

Martin, I googled "gibberellic acid" (without the quotes) and found it available at Amazon (and other places). I didn't look into it any further so don't know what you'll find but it may be worth a look.
    Cath

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Cath41,
    Joe was actually looking for it , i at one time was interested but not anymore.
    But thanks . ; )
    Martin

• dieseler
    12 years ago

I know this thread is old but since had change of mind and just started experimenting with some gibberellic acid on my UcDavis Ischia Black.
    I figure it will
    either die
    grow better
    or stay the same
    Time will tell
    Martin

• thisisme
    12 years ago

Gibberellic acid is used to turn female flowers into hermaphrodites forcing them to produce viable pollen. Any fruit that is actually sprayed with this stuff is not to be eaten. It is very dangerous stuff and is known to cause gene mutations in living tissues. In the citrus industry its used to produce viable pollen in Clementine Orchards. Clementine's are self-sterile. They spray one tree out of fifty forcing the flowers to produce viable pollen. Any fruit produced on the tree that is sprayed must be disposed of. All the other trees however are pollinated by the hermaphrodite pollen from the tree that was sprayed and produce seedless fruit. Whatever you do, do not get any of this stuff on your skin or eyes or breathe this stuff in. Never and I mean never even think of eating any fruit from a tree that is sprayed with gibberellic acid until the following season.

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Yes thats understood and i have seen the tablets that are to be mixed with iso alcohol i believe this stuff is
    is a solution containing gibberellins, a naturally occurring plant growth hormone. The solution is misted onto indoor and outdoor plants for better plant care.
    Its also safe for fruiting plants .
    Martin

• foolishpleasure
    12 years ago

I called Edible Landscaping asking them if they have Gibberellic. They told me we don't sell it any more. I insisted to speak to the Big Boss. He graciously talked to me and I asked him listen you sold Gibberellic and now you don't advise me on it. He said all I can tell you don't use it.
    My thoughts: This spray interfere with Mother Nature and if you fool with mother nature she will punish you.

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Yes i posted way up top of thread i had called edible landscaping curious about it at the time.
    Its my understanding used in its more natural form from a certain fungi its not harmful and if one ever has eaten a Thompson Seedless grape hopefully they have not turned into an aliens form. ; )

Martin

• thisisme
    12 years ago

Sorry for being such an alarmist guys. The last time I looked at Gibberellic acid was more than 10 years ago. It does appear that it is being used on some food products now so I guess it is OK to eat fruit from a tree that has been sprayed. I still would not want to get any of this stuff on me seeing what it can do to plant cells. But it is now generally believed to be safe.

Sponsored
Trillium Gardens, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars44 Reviews
Richmond Area's Trusted Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz