Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs with large fruit

Posted by oxankle 6/7 (oxankle@windstream.net) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 21:26

What are some of the figs with the largest fruit? Please comment on the hardiness and taste, too. No point in growing big figs if they taste like cardboard and die back each winter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs with large fruit

The largest fig in my collection is one of my unidentified trees. The fruit is dark brown, sweet, and about 3/4 to 4/5 the size of a tennis ball. Hardy in my area, 6b/7a.
Other large figs I have heard about are Quarter Pounder, Zumwalt, and from a grower in Germany a variety named Longue d'Aout

o

The figs on my 'Brown Turkey' are quite large.

Monster fig

o

Thanks, Guys.

Lou; When cutting time comes, I want to try to talk you out of three or four cuttings from that unidentified fig.

I'll look and see what else I can find. The Paradiso from Boston is supposed to be a large fig, but so far they are only about the size of fifty cent pieces. Perhaps when the tree is older they'll get bigger. I've got the EL Paradiso too, but only from cuttings this year.

Brown Turkey has its admirers, I've not heard much about the taste of the Quarter Pounder. The others are not known to me.

Johnnieb: Do other Brown Turkeys in your area get as large as those on your tree?
Ox

o

This is my largest fig variety. "Cul de Ruc", (ass of donkey).
It weights about 140 g. and it is the more productive tree that I have. The taste is only acceptable.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Hi, xon2000,

I was wondering if I can grow this type of fig in my area.
I live in United States, Florida Zone 9.
Where can I find "Cul de Ruc"?

Rose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here