Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Chicago Hardy Need Protection?

Posted by achang89 Central NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:40

I just planted the "Chicago Hardy" in my backyard, in open field. When winter comes, do I need to cover the tree? Or I can just leave in the open?

If the tree is "hardy" in Chicago, then it should be very hardy in my zone. Does this make sense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Chicago Hardy Need Protection?

Absolutely. Don't believe the hype. Protect your young tree, or it can be either killed, or the top can die. Roots might live, and then you will have new stems sprouting from surviving roots.

Last winter took its toll on thousands of fig trees that were either planted in the ground, or, in containers....even protected trees. Young fig trees will be very susceptible to winter damages.

Even in years with mild winters, in your climate zone, all you need is a few nights with below freezing temperatures, to kill or badly damage top growth....and then you're back to square one. A tree that has to constantly re-grow a new top is not a tree, but it becomes a perennial, if the roots survive.

"Chicago Hardy" is just a varietal name, but it is, (under the right conditions), a little hardier than some other, not-so-hardy varieties, like "Black Mission".

If you want to keep you tree from year to year, protect it. All it takes is one bad winter, and then, you'll go shopping for a new fig tree. : )

I lost all my trees, except one, over the last winter. I live in a milder climate (NYC) than you, and all the stored heat in the concrete and black-top, heats the air...and still, my trees died. Your tree(s)...planted in an open field..... Good luck. Smart guys use protection.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here