Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to plant fig suckers with roots ?

Posted by hrhcsh none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 22:06

I'm not sure suckers would be the right term, What I have are small limbs that we pulled up with some roots still attached.
the leaves are wilting... probably will die and fall off. Should I cut back the limbs or trim off the limp leaves ? I have them in a mixture of pete and potting soil planted in the ground.. plan to keep them wet and hope the roots will take hold and at least stay alive. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to plant fig suckers with roots ?

Why doy ou want to fool with suckers? From my experience I planted suckers and were developed into two trees. They produce figs but never ripen. I asked some fig people why? I was told sucker figs never ripen. I still have them as decorative plants no usable fruits ever. I put them in the flower bed in front of the house they look good with lots of green leaves. I think they are gays who look good but no off spring.I fertilize and water them and I get a lot of compliments from the neighbors about how good they look. I am not an expert or even close to one but this is my experience.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 14:16

Why would trees grown from suckers, once established, perform any differently than trees grown for cuttings or layering?

hrhcsh, I would expect that you'd want to provide shade and humidity for your newly independent trees to mitigate moisture loss until the roots are well enough established to supply what is needed.

o

I would cut off all the leaves except the topmost, and cut that in half. Then treat the sucker like you would any rooted cutting.

Good luck to you!
Suzi

o

Why would trees grown from suckers, once established, perform any differently than trees grown for cuttings or layering?
========================================================
I love to know that too

o

So did the tree you got your experience from produce figs? Maybe it's a caprifig and needs the wasp. My rooted suckers from Violette D Bordeaux produce just fine. Who told you this? The person that owned the non producing fig tree?

Just wondering.

o

that tree does not need fig wasp it is self pollinating Brown turkey

o

Hrhcsh, I am trying to do the same thing and my newly potted figs leaves are wilting also. Last night I trimmed more of them off. At this point all we can do is keep them watered (but not too much) and keep them out of direct sun while we hope for the best.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here