Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs not ripening

Posted by mathace 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 22:07

I planted two fig trees in my yard this Spring. One was only a foot tall and the other was 3 or 4 feet tall. They were planted about 100 feet apart from each other.
They were planted in identical conditions.

The small one has been growing like a weed! It is very tall now. It is loaded with figs! I have ate 6 figs off it already. My FIRST figs EVER! IT has been SO VERY EXCITING!

The larger one has not grown any :( It is now about 1/2 the size of the smaller fig plant (since that plant has grown so much). The larger plant set fruit first, but none of them have ripen. The plant looks healthy, but is maintaining status quo.

Any IDEAS as to why the one plant is not taking off like the other one? Any Ideas as to why the fruit is not ripening on this tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs not ripening

The young one ,is an early ripening cultivar,and the older one must be a late ripening cultivar.
Late cultivars are not ripe yet in your zone 8.
Place a lot of mulch and limestone powder under the fig that does not want to grow.

o
RE: Figs not ripening

Thanks for the tip.
I checked this morning and found that the one that has been growing like crazy, producing a ton of fruit AND has already produced a 1/2 dozen ripe figs is a Magnolia fig.

The other fig plant that is not growing, but not looking ill either is a Celeste. I am still working on finding the ripening time for each variety...

According to this web site...
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg214

The Celeste is an early July and the Magnolia is a late July / August ripening fig plant. Something is wrong with this picture. The Magnolia is doing fine and is on schedule. However, the Celeste is the one that set fruit, but they are not ripening..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here