Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ediblelandscaping_sc

I have an Egyptian fig tree & can trade cuttings

I heard people was looking for this tree, my grandfather has it and I can take cutting to trade in the fall. I can also take pictures if you'd like. The lady he got this tree from gave him cuttings from 2 trees a turkey fig and an Egyptian fig tree. my Pawpaw has been calling the turkey fig brown turkey but it's not BT. it must just be a huge fig from Turkey. I have the turkey fig at my house as well as his but the Egyptian fig is only at his house. the figs are small and sweet but the turkey fig is huge and sweet so I rooted it not knowing the Egyptian was sought after. to view pictures of the turkey fig check out " what kind of fig tree is this?" on the forum. I'll try to get pictures of the Egyptian fig tree this Sunday when we meet after church for Sunday dinner.

Comments (10)

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I have no luck in rooting cuttings I airlayer evert thing. If you can root the cuttings or air-layer them I will buy it from you. Also I am interested in Negretta beside the The Egyptian.
    I have Brown TURKEY, celeste, Chicago ans LCU Purple.

• cazimere
    11 years ago

Ediblelandscaping, any relation to ediblelandscaping.com ?

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no relation to ediblelandscaping.com sorry. foolishpleasure do you have a rooted lsu purple?

• Dan796
    11 years ago

I would be interested in Egyptian fig tree cuttings.
    Please contact me for a trade.
    Thanks and God Bless!

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

yes I have rooted LSU purpule. As small as is it has one good near riping good size fig. This kind of fig is very productive.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

let me get some cuttings rooted and we can trade plant for plant next spring or something contact me at ediblelandscaping.sc@gmail.com

• joeworm
    11 years ago

foolishpleasure,

you must be trying too hard!! rooting fig cuttings is as simple as sticking a cutting in a bucket of compost and stand back.....just keep it moist and it will root within a short period of time. it really is that simple. root starter is not needed.

i'm looking for cuttings that i can start now. if anyone is willing to take a cutting from their tree i'll take whatever you are offering. i have several brown turkey that i started this past february from cuttings and i'd like to add some different varieties.

thanks

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

now is not a good time to ship cuttings they will rot in transit or dry out. wait until your plant have dropped all there leaves in fall before trading cuttings.That said, you can take a cutting this time of year and pot it up within an hour and it will root just fine giving the proper humidity but in transit the chances are slim. I've taking softwood cuttings and had them in water. I got a call having to go somewhere asap and left them in the cup of water. when I got home 4 hours later the cuttings had wilted over and looked sad I rushed to pot them up but none made it. That was just 4 hours. stems alone can't draw the moisture needed to replace that lost through the leaves. And with softwood cuttings you'll need a few leaves to help the rooting process. me leaving the cuttings without proper humidity around the leaves killed those cuttings. however I have also tried rooting softwood cutting the same way you root dormant cuttings via the plastic bag and paper towels and all died as well. no light and high humidity will rot the softwood cutting within 72 hrs. semi-hardwood cuttings stand a better chance, but why risk it when cuttings are already hard to acquire. wait till fall to trade cuttings and clone a few of yours now to trade plant for plant next growing season.

• goldfinchy
    11 years ago

Hi ediblelandscaping.sc,

I was wondering if you still have the Egyptian fig tree and if you would like to share some cuttings?

Thanks!

• pixiejen
    8 years ago

I have been searching for an Egyptian Fig Tree in the US for a very long time. Do you have any cuttings available? I would absolutely LOVE to get some.

Thank you!!