Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kubota1_gw

For Michael, bunch of figs.

kubota1
9 years ago

Ate a bunch of figs tonight. The best of the bunch were JH Adriatic, Genovese Nero, Figo Preto, Sal's Corleone, Valle Negra, Sicilian Red, Vasilika Sika, and Unk Chiappetta.

Comments (13)

• rafed
    9 years ago

Art
    You're just wrong, bro.

• kubota1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The nice thing is the weather has been perfect this week. Even the Brown Turkey wasn't bad. It was perfectly ripe.
    The rain is coming tomorrow, so it worked out perfectly.

• rjcantor
    9 years ago

Even the figs I'm getting aren't great quality and we've had a week of near 100 degree temps. What soil are you using?

Do you have Salem Dark? That's been my best fig this year and it was very good.

• kubota1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob, I don't use any pine nuggets. I only use Pro Mix w/Biofungicide. Last year I used Fox Farm Ocean Forest, so most of them were up potted w/ Pro Mix.
    I have to water all my pots every day and I haven't used any fertilizer for about a month.

• kubota1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob, No, I don't have Salem Dark.

Also, I'm sure the weather has helped with the taste of my figs. It hasn't been the hottest weather here. No days above 90 this year. Luckily most of the figs have ripened when it was dry out.

• newnandawg
    9 years ago

Art, those are just awesome looking.

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Some nice looking figs .
    Martin

• mgginva
    9 years ago

Art,
    Looking great !! I just came in from a hell of a storm that blew down over half my trees (they are in pots). I've had to start freezing stuff - 25% of my freezer is already full.
    Does your Valley Negra have really thick skin? Mine does.
    I have had 45 varieties ripen as of today. mmm mmm mmm

• mgginva
    9 years ago

Art,
    I was looking at your figs again and they really look good. Good job ! I just had a Bourjasotte gris and it absolutely knocked me to my knees ! WOW !!

• kubota1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Congrats Michael. 45 Varieties is awesome. How do you freeze them? I've been dehydrating mine.

My Valle Negra doesn't have the thinnest skin, but it's not like a Kadota either.

• rjcantor
    9 years ago

That's what I don't like about the pro-mix. You have to water it every day and especially here it's very expensive. If I miss a 1 gallon pot on a hot day that fig may very well die.

• mgginva
    9 years ago

I must have lost 2 pounds of figs to . . . probably a coon family last night. And a good 25% of my ripe figs are being eaten by about 9 million species of bees, wasps, hornets, etc.
    My god they are everywhere this year -- and aggressive!
    I got tagged 3x just trying to pick a few ripe figs for a guest I had today.
    I just went from fig paradise to hell like the snap of a finger. Out comes the electric fence and all the other nasties -- but I have to wait til the weekend/ That could easily be 5 more pounds lost !!! ouch !!

• ampersand12
    9 years ago

Great spread, Art! Color me jealous. I hope to get a couple of those varieties someday.

Thanks for sharing.
    -Kelby