Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nc_transplant

Harvest Pics

nc_transplant
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I've posted a couple of pictures of the figs I've been able to grow and sample this year. I've been following this forum for a few years, and have learned a lot about the hobby. I have about a dozen trees both in ground and potted. Beneath the pictures I have identified the type, and added some general comments. I'm in the North Carolina Piedmont region and we've had a very hot summer this year along with a moderate rainfall, so the figs have done pretty well.

Clockwise, from top:

LSU Gold (Hidden Springs Nursery). The best tasting of all. I currently have it in a large pot, but intend to plant it in the spring. I belive Herman indicates success in NJ, so I'm hoping for the same here. The only problem I have is the tree only fruited at the terminal ends of its branches this year, not sure why.

Hardy Chicago (Edible Landscaping). First year in ground after a couple in a pot. The fruit is very good, even though the tree shows much of the effects of FMV.

LSU Purple (Edible Landscaping). Received this one in quart size from EL, didn't do much the first few years. I left it outside unprotected this winter and surprise, quite a few fine tasting fruit. I think this may confirm the need for a good chill during winter dormancy.

Violet de Bourdeaux (Edible Landscaping). Excellent tasting. I received a rather poorly formed specimen from EL, but the fruit is wonderful. I plan to air layer into several plants next year.

Hollier (Just Fruits and Exotics). I visited my sister in Tallahasse this year, and made the trip to Crawfordville while I was there. It's a real nice place, with a very friendly and helpful staff. I picked up this one and a couple of other figs. Although the tree is yet immature, the fruit was still pretty good.

Black Mission (NC State Farmers Market). I have this one in a large pot to contain its size. I'm not sure it would make it outside over winter here in zone 7, and since it can get so big a pot is probably the way to go. Tasty fruit, and quite prolific.

Petite Negri (Edible Landscaping). A small potted tree with the largest fruit of them all. Hard to distinquish from Black Mission taste-wise, but a larger fruit and quite prolific as well.

My other plants - at Just Fruits I also picked up a Scott's Black and a Champagne. Neither has ripned yet, but both seem quite happy a little further north, especially the Champagne as it's growing like a weed. I also have an Alma with unripe fruit in ground, obtained from a private plant sale in Wilmington, NC. I plan on protecting this one in the winter and sure hope it's OK, the fruit was really good last year. My Brown Turkey in a pot just recently ripened and the fruit was OK (not a big fan), I also have a small Celeste from the NC Farmer's Market which did not fruit this year. Finally, I have an heirloom fig purchased at the City of Wilmington Farmer's Market. The woman who sold me the small plant said that when her family moved from Raleigh to Wilmington they took some cuttings and started new trees there. Now I have a cutting from one of those trees, and have turned around and brought it back to Raleigh. She metioned the fruit had a strawberry interior which is great, I sure hope I didn't bring another one of the ubiquitous Brown Turkeys all the way back home from Wilmington. It's doing really well so far in ground.

Well, the fig bug has obviously bitten - I've already contacted James Robin down in Louisiana about getting a few of his figs sent my way this fall. Maybe a Ventura and a Smith.

Anyway, my thanks to all the regular contributors to this forum, your unselfish sharing of knowledge has helped me enjoy this endeavor much more than I could have flying blind - Happy Gardening, Jim

Comments (13)

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice presentation and photos Jim.
    Jim, may I ask a favor please, to take a photo or several photos of your Petite Negri leaves? I am eager to see what the Edible Landscaping variety looks like?
    Thanks much. Leon

• terowan
    13 years ago

Jim, Thanks for sharing the pics and info. I live in the coastal plain near Newport, NC so it is always interesting to see what is happening nearby. Good show!
    I have 4 in ground figs and I'll post some pics when I get a chance in another thread.

• nc_transplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leon, here are a couple of photos of my EL Petite Negri. The first is of a 'normal' leaf, the second is of one apparently affected by FMV.

Regards, Jim

• noss
    13 years ago

Jim,

For a leaf that has FMV, it sure looks healthy! Just when I think I "get" something, something crops up and lets me know I didn't "get" it at all.

It looks, to me, like just a different shape of leaf, but looks so healthy. Oh well, I'm a newbie to learning about figs. Those are very good, clear pictures of the leaves.

noss

• peterknop
    13 years ago

Black mission seems to do well here in zone 7 n.va. Out of doors and not too well protected, just south side of a Terraced hill. Saw some in Manasses yesterday which were doing beautifully, but more protected.
    I do wonder about the petit negri, and how do You tell it apart from the black mission. Maybe photos of both leaves would be helpful.
    Likewise the difference between the LSU gold and the Italian honey. The fruit looks identical..... Anyone have any comments or photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactusville

• nc_transplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Noss - the tree does appear to quite healthy overall, and it produces pretty well. I'm just assuming the 'deformed' yet healthy looking leaves are a result of the virus. There's actually a third type of leaf on the tree as well, three lobes as opposed to five. It's not very attractive, but the fruit is great.

Peterknop, I don't know if you could tell the difference between Petite Negri and Black Mission based on the leaves alone. When side-by-side I can tell the difference based on fruit size, Petite Negri's is larger. No discernible difference in taste that I can detect though.

Jim

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Yes FmV effect the leaves by what looks like a loss of
    chlorophyl and mottling (bubble apperance) along with mishapen leaves (lobes missing and or deformed )
    As i mentioned on other forum it also sometimes appears in the fruit itself as mentioned according to UcDAVIS and University of Florida.
    Martin
    Ebay Id
    Dieseler6z92

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

Thank you kindly for posting the leaf photos of the Petite Negri. Your trees are beautiful.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Martin,

Then all my trees must have that virus because all of them have several differently-shaped leaves on them--esp. the Celestes. You name it, they got it! LOL! But it doesn't stop them. How do you know if the leaves are different because of the virus, or just because?

The Celestes have small leaves and huge leaves along with the normal sized leaves. There are lobed ones and heart-shapes and leaves that look like mittens. One of the regular leaves is so large on the tree out front that I can place my hands in three places and there's space left over! It's huge. The BT and the TX E have three different shapes to their leaves and both trees' leaves are the same as each other, except the BT's are larger than the TX E's.

Figs are really fascinating trees.

noss

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Noss you misunderstood the statement. Yes fig trees have many different shape leaves on same tree . When juvenile some of these leaves can be quite large and dwarf ones hand easily.
    Different shape leaves on same plant means nothing weather there 3-5-7 lobed leaves thats normal, there are no lobed leafs as well on some plants in the mix also normal.
    A deformed leaf is just that deformed and can be missing one of the lobes totally on the Same leaf itself or be quite shortend lobe and look very oddball.
    Here is just an example.
    As a note FMV usually displays itself in a plant early in season then as season wanes it can hide only to reappear the next season.
    Many folks have fmv plants its no big deal some of the best tasting cultivars have it.
    Its also prevalant in many vegtables such as squash, cucumbers,potatoes, etc.
    If one does a search on mosaic in plants you can see pictures.

{{gwi:814892}}
    {{gwi:814895}}

Martin

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Deformity i mention in leaves.
    {{gwi:814897}}
    {{gwi:814900}}
    Martin

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Martin,

Thanks for clarifying the subject. I can see what you're talking about with the pictures you posted. It helped a lot that you explained.

The leaves on my figs are all different shapes, but are normal shapes. :)

The leaves in Jim's photos look very healthy to me. What is your take on the second photo? Is that leaf deformed, or just a different shape?

Thanks,

noss

• dieseler
    13 years ago

It looks like it has minor deformity in picture.
    Next year in mid spring is best time to see the plant as a whole. Some parts of plants show fmv some parts may not.
    In my opinion its nothing to be alarmed about most fig plants have it unknown to the grower and do just fine.
    Ischia Black is one type that can have hard time dealing with it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES