Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ediblelandscaping_sc

how I propagate my fig trees & more

This might be a little over the top but I like it and it works great for me.

Comments (14)

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a look on the inside

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

got to keep the humidity up

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Healthy even in an old tote

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is pretty basic but here's what you do with the bottle. my little note says 1 gallon trade pot check craigslist. I've gotten them from 5- 10 cents each so just look around. the bottles are free and reusable.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

when something does go bad it's usually mold and here is how I fix it, put 6 squirts of Daconil Fungicide to 1 squirt bottle with 26 oz of lukewarm water. shake it up remove the bottle caps, set the bottle to spray and mist the leafs and stalk very well, problem solved. if your growing media does not have good drainage you will be fighting more then mold. I use 2 parts potting soil, 1 part peat moss, 2 parts perlite, and a little lime.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks and good luck with propagating your plants! If you have any questions or if you want to trade figs or other edibles post a comment and I'll be sure to get back with you.

• Rigo76443
    11 years ago

do you do anything with the cuttings before the soil? do you put them in the fridge for a few days before or just cut them off the tree and put in soil with bottle over it right after?

do you have propagation rate % ?

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I take a cup of lukewarm water outside with me in the evening once the sun's going down and as soon as take a cutting I trim back 50% of the leaves on top and take off all leaves on the bottom 3 -4 inches of the cutting and place it in the water. once I have all my cuttings from each tree and my cup of water looks like a little fig bush, I take them straight inside and dip them in rooting hormone, pot them up, & label them. always do 1 variety at a time and label as you go. or you will have a few ? plants and ? plants suck so please take the time to label them. my success rate is 95% with figs if not better I rarely have a plant not root.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it's also important to write the dates down of when the cuttings where taken. Also if you have 2 types of the same plant label them plant 1 and plant 2. like me I have brown turkey 1 and brown turkey 2 because they came from different sources and 1 produces figs 3+ inches long while the other has figs 1.5-2 inches long.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

if anyone has doubles of there fig trees I'll be happy to trade for mine. I also have many other fruiting plants like thornless blackberries, hardy kiwis, pink lemonade blueberries, and more.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I air-layer every thing and it works very well. I founf that using plastic bottles is easier and more cotrolable than using plastic bags especially if you air-layering big branch with sub-branches.

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I air layer larger branches early in the year and take softwood cutting during the growing season. I also do dormant cuttings in fall so in short. my figs are all hacked up but thriving. Do you have any rooted figs you want to trade?

• ejp3
    11 years ago

El, what cultivars are you looking for and which ones do you have to trade? I sent you an e-mail

• ediblelandscaping.sc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I emailed you back did you get the message?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County