Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagation of figs from dying branches?

Posted by zweigtribe southern cal (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 23:14

gopher has destroyed my fig tree, a precious family member! as the leaves are slowly yellowing and the fruit is trying to ripen, i am wondering if there may be a chance of taking branches off and rooting them in this season. i know nothing of how to begin...advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagation of figs from dying branches?

Take as many 6"-8" cuttings as you can asap. Strip off the fruit and leaves. Put some in plastic bags with damp spaghnum moss. Put a couple of these bags in the refer for a few weeks. Put the other bags in a warm place to root.

Try some additional cuttings in a baggie with damp newspaper or paper towels. Put some in the refer and some in a warm place to root.

You might even throw a few cuttings into water to root. You need to change the water every other day. Once you see white root nubs, pot them up and put in a warm, dark environment (I use my laundry room or garage).

In other words, try as many techniques as you can to get at least some cuttings to root.

In the mean time strip the fruit off the mother tree, maybe some of the leaves to stop transpiration, and water the HELL out it after killing the golpher to try and save the tree. If it does go kaput at least you gave it your best shot.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here