Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Panache' fig- finally have one but NOOOOO

Posted by drasaid zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 23:28

Ah yes, the Panache' fig. I've wanted one for some time, with the insane plant lust we all have for that thing no local nursery will ever carry and for which no justification can be made for the shipping . . . well I bought one at last.
Now I discover (which of coarse I SHOULD have known) that this is essentially a variagated plant, with all the curses of such. That means the dang thing grows very slowly, recovers from shocks (such as planting) slowly, and in essence grows like anything but a fig. So nobody ask me for cuttings, because this thing will probably never get big enough for that. Dang. It is a tasty fig (the HEB here has had some fruit for sale) but somehow I never realized this would be one of those bummer plants. Drat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Panache' fig- finally have one but NOOOOO

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 18:05

My panache fig has been great so far. I can only hope that it grows slowly and stays on the small side.

o
RE: Panache' fig- finally have one but NOOOOO

I've read that Panache needs a lot of light and heat.

I have a start of one but not sure I'll keep it. It probably won't like my cool summer maritime climate. It was a cutting exchange. I didn't know at the time it would not like the climate here.

I'm leaving it outside for the winter. We'll see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here