Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone had luck rooting a young green branch

Posted by tony_c_m (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 23:28

Is it possible to root a cutting that is from current growth that does not have any of last years wood on it? I was given some cuttings but they are all from this years growth with no older wood. If anyone has had luck rooting one, is there a trick to it. I have them in water.
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone had luck rooting a young green branch

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 23:40

Bass says he does well by removing all the leaves and keeping the humidity high.

o

I'll give it a try. Hope they root for me. For some reason I haven't had much luck rooting them. Maybe this time will be different.
Thanks,

o

All of the figs I have planted are from branches that were stripped of leaves and kept in those 16 ounce plastic water bottles. They were put in a window over winter and grew pretty good root systems by spring , and all leaves that grew back were left alone- then were planted in pots. Seems really easy to do. Good luck!

o

I have taken 5 cutting from the new growth on my potted fig. They root faster in very wet pearlite than in a bottle of water. I have left the tip leaf on, and slip a baggie over the cutting to keep moisture high. 4 of the five rooted and were planted up in less than 2 months.

o

Mandolls is right...mine take forever to root this way. It works, but takes up to 6 months.

o

Thanks for the info. I hope the cuttings root for me, a couple friends would like some if I get them started. All that I know about them is that one has green figs and the other is reddish brown and that they were brought over from Abruzzo Italy. Thanks Lorenzo!

o

I have terrible luck with my cuttings. I have around 30 and am lucky if I get 2 to work. Not sure if my soil is to dense, I overwater them, it's too cold in my house. Some people say they just put dirt in a pot, add the cuttings and bingo, they get fig trees.

o

fastbull
Somethings wrong! Just two successes out of thirty tries. Are you stripping any bark from the bottom of the cutting? Tell us how you prepare the cutting, so we can offer some help.

o

I've had good luck last year rooting in water.

Place them is a vase with rainwater. The leaves will drop, don't worry. Be patient, they will grow from the new buds and develop good roots. In the spring, replant into pots....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here