Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simsedward

Overwintering Figs

simsedward
12 years ago

Hi All-

This is my second year growing figs from cuttings given to me by a friend. Last year's plants were planted in the ground and had small figs by September. The figs fell off and I wrapped the "trees" in burlap. They both died over the winter. This year I planted one in a big pot and it is doing better than last year's trees. Any suggestions for overwintering in Southeast Michigan would be greatly appreciated.

ED

Comments (8)

• rafed
    12 years ago

Ed,

Do you have an attached garage?

I put all mine ( over 125 pots )in the garage stacked on top of each other.

Might get a loss here and there with the young ones.

I live in Sterling Heights. Where are you?

Rafed

• simsedward
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in Farmington Hills - I have a garage attached by a breezeway. I could put it in the breezeway or the garage, throw some snow on top of the pot (for water when it melts???) Whichever you think would be better...

How long do you keep them in pots? I planned on planting in the ground next spring...maybe I wont???
    Thanks for the response.

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

I will give you a suggestion hot to grow it in MI with success and get ripe figs.
    Drill holes ,on Bottom of pot and on Bottom side.
    Set tree on the sunniest spot and let it grow there.
    Very soon it will grow roots in ground.
    In the Fall cut the roots off and put it back in the Garage,or underground basement.
    10 Gallon pot is more than enough for this,5 gallon will do.
    This way it will ripe fruits for sure.
    I doubt you will get ripe fruits if planted in ground because the tree goes retarded and form embryos too late.

• rafed
    12 years ago

simsedward,

Follow Hermans advice as he know much more than I do.

But I keep mine in pots and place in the garage all Winter long. Give them a little bit of water every couple weeks or so to keep the roots from drying out.

My garage door faces the North so I place a cover in front of them, that is all.

Rafed

• simsedward
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, I will try this in the spring and hope to have figs next season!

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    12 years ago

simsedward:

I grow figs in large containers, 20 gallon, and place the containers on dollies. When trees go dormant, I place the containerized plants in an unheated storage shed. I've done this since 2008. The trees are not damaged, and start right back up in early spring. I generally put them in the shed around Christmas, and they come back out around Tax Day, April-15th. If you continue to grow in containers, you must root-prune your trees every 3-4 years and re-pot in NEW soil.

Do a quick search on this forum for growing in containers, soil mix formulas, fertilizing, watering, etc. Everything you need to know is right here on this forum. Also, very important!!! Check postings on how to pinch out the terminal growth to encourage earlier ripening of main-crop figs.

Good luck, and happy growing.

BronxFigs,....Frank

• simsedward
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice Frank-
    I have a bonsai collection, so I am used to root pruning and changing soil annually for container plants. Good tip. I will read up on pinching the growth. Do you water at all over the winter? Place snow in the pot to water when temps spike at all?

• timcoates
    9 years ago

Hi All, great Forum and very practical information. I have a young fig tree and posted a picture here. My wife and I brought it back from France and it did great all summer. We moved into a new apt and before the leaves all had a chance to fall, my landlord brought it inside the toasty apt thinking she was saving it. For 2 weeks it's been in a dark spot in my apt (avg. 70 F) as I've tried to find a place to store it for the summer.

A work colleague has offered to take it in his detached garage, but it will get below freezing. I'm going to try the new tenants in our old place which has an unfished basement that doesn't dip below freezing (though it comes close). The tips have turned a brownish color.

With that as context, here are my questions:
    1. Have I already passed the tipping point with this back and forth of cold and hot temperature?
    2. Would it survive the freezing garage? I've seen some posts on here that seem to say it would.

Thank you!