Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid one smart chipmunk

Posted by snaglpus 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 23:58

Help! I really need you help here. I have lots of young fig trees and one very smart chipmunk. Every day, it is a battle to keep this guy out of my fig trees. I use to think that the birds were eating my ripe figs, until I caught this sucker in the act! I could not believe my eyes! This chipmunk would eat only the ripe figs through the netting! I am so pissed off! I tried rat traps with peanut butter. I tried chunks of corn rat poision, but this guy goes around these thing and straight to my fig trees on my deck. Please tell me what do you guys recommend I do to get rid of this thing! thanks, Dennis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid one smart chipmunk

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 0:54

Hi Dennis,

Did you try a rat trap baited with a ripe fig?

noss

o

Noss, I thought about that and I got one ripe Black Madeira fig. But I hate to give it to a chipmunk! I do have some grapes. that might work.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 20:12

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water & put it under the tree. Add enough sunflower seeds to cover the top of the water. lay a board even with the top of the bucket so the c-munks can access it readily and sprinkle a few seeds on the board. The c-munks will eat the seeds on the board and then jump into what they think is a bucket of seeds. End of tale.

Al

o

Hey Dennis,
i answered on other forum about finding its hole and plugging him in.
He may have friends though.
I lucky no critter problems including birds,But im ready if they come with my ole reliable scatter gun.
A 12gauge with an accu choke that i can adujst the buckshot pattern coming out , course dont shoot the tree catch em in flight or on the run ! There a trap range a mile away so the noise would not bother anyone here. ; )
Martin

o

I had a problem with the chipmunks eating my strawberries even the green ones so I put out rat traps and baited with the strawberries. That worked along with a bb gun but you can't be there all the time. They don't cost much so put out multiple rat traps.

o

Ok. He got another one of my Schar Italian figs. He was 7 feet from me laying spread out in my 3 gallon fig just having a ball. I crack the door open and took a shot at him and I know I got him. He ran off injured with a hole in him thru and thru. The pellet went straight through my plant container too! He won't be back but just in case his brother comes by, I placed a Havahart trap out on my deck baited with one ripe fig. If I catch him, he won't live to see another day!

Al,Eve recommended the same trap. I'm going to try it this afternoon after I pick up some sunflower seeds. I hope it works. Again, I've lost too many figs to these guys and its not funny. Thanks everyone! Dennis

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 14:39

It works - I've used it. Copy/paste to your browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Pog2SZ0y0

You can also use a piece of lattice suspended over the bucket like a seesaw. You'll need to support the lattice (paint stir stick) between the edge of the bucket & another point outside the bucket. Think of a diving board. Sunflower seeds go on the end of the lattice over the water. The chipmunk walks out on the lattice & the seesaw effect takes over and he falls in the pond.

Another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w&feature=related

Al

o

I GOT HIM!!! He he he. I am so happy! He ate his last fig today. I played taps as we went to the pasture and only I came back! I got him!!! I am so happy!

chip in jail

o

HI Dennis i posted some recipes on other forum if you get more of them.
Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here