Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loslunasfarms

New Fig tree find with Pics

loslunasfarms
15 years ago

I found this in Socorro NM, huge tree. I cannot seem to id it so I figure that maybe some of the fig hot shots might be able to ID it. The fig was tasty and mother tree was HUGE!

Comments (24)

• arigato
    15 years ago

Nice looking figs

• mountainman0826
    15 years ago

The fig in my collection that these figs most resemble is Bourjasotte Grise. The picture below is Bourjasotte Grise and was taken in 2004 by a longtime contributor to this forum. However, I am not convinced that the fig above is Bourjasotte Grise. The coloration of the fig is the same; a characteristic violet shading with the top of the fig and the neck greener. The pulp appears similar, although the color of pulp can vary with climate. I believe that the fig above and the fig below were both grown in New Mexico. The characteristics of the fig above that leave me unconvinced that it is Bourjasotte Grise are the lack of serration on the leaves (note the serration on the leaf below, the shortness of the necks on the figs in the pictures above (most Bourjasotte Grise figs have a prominent neck) and the angle of the lobes of the leaf that border the stem. All factors considered, though, B. Grise is still the best match in my databank.

• bonsaist
    15 years ago

Nice looking fig, I would call it "Socorro Dulce".
    I'm sure you've got cuttings from the mother tree.

Bass

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bass, I will be going back for cuttings once the large tree goes dormant. It also has suckers, so I may get some of those also. The taste was very good.

• leon_edmond
    15 years ago

mountainman:
    How does the Bourjassot Grise perform in your area?
    For me, it used to drop alot of figs and therefore I gave up on it. What do you think of the flavor?
    I replaced BG with Italian-258, which never drops it's figs and tastes similar, if not better than B. Grise IMHO.
    Take care. Hope you and your family are well!

• mountainman0826
    15 years ago

Hi, Leon!

We are doing well here in central Texas. This weekend we hosted some of my wife's relatives as they fled the fury of Ike with their small children. Although the outer edge of the cloud cover associated with Ike reached Austin, we received very little wind and only a few drops of rain. I wish we had gotten a little more, as we have been experiencing a drought. I'm sure Houston would be happy to send us some!

The jury is still out on Bourjasotte Grise here in Austin, TX. Of the original three cuttings from several years ago, I still have two. One was planted in-ground last year and I planted the other in-ground this year. Both started the year as single trunk trees about 1 1/2 in. in diameter and about 5 ft. in height. The main trunk died to the ground early this spring on the one planted last year. Suckers sprouted vigorously from the roots and we were able to taste 3 figs a week or two ago. B. Grise may be sensitive to excessive heat and drought, as the one that I planted this spring defoliated and dropped its figs even though I hand-watered it regularly. My recollection is that Condit rated the B. Grise as mediocre in part due to its tendency to drop fruit during adverse conditions. The few B. Grise that we tasted were excellent, sweet and to paraphrase an authority on the subject :) from a few years ago had a "taste that lingered on the palate"! I do have a small Italian 258 that I acquired from our friend Jon V. If it makes it through this winter, we'll see how Italian 258 fares in Austin. Good to hear from you!

• mountainman0826
    15 years ago

After carefully reading Condit's description of Bourjassotte Grise, and viewing the color plates illustrating B. Grise in Condit's Hilgardia, I am more convinced that B. Grise is the best match for the Socorro fig.

• leon_edmond
    15 years ago

Here are recent photos I took of my Italian-258 fig. Looks pretty close as well.

• leon_edmond
    15 years ago

I retract my comparison. Looking closer at the leaves and the fig characteristics, I would say the Soccoro fig and Italian-258 are definitely two different varieties. Would be nice to do a taste comparison. Great find!

• mountainman0826
    15 years ago

Although Italian 258 and the Socorro fig seem distinguishable by the following measures (the margin of the Italian 258 leaf seems more roughly crenate (scalloped) than the Socorro fig and the base of the Italian 258 leaf appears calcarate (has acute angles with the stem) in comparison to the base of the leaf of the Socorro fig which appears cordate (heart-shaped) ), the ripe figs do seem quite similar in appearance. It will be interesting to see how closely the figs are related by DNA analysis.

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now that the momma tree is dormant I will go and get cuttings and suckers. The owner of the tree has already gave me the OK when the tree went dormant. BTW, I was looking at the comments again and the owner never mentioned a tendency to drop trees or leaf drop during the Socorro heat, +100F.

• boizeau
    15 years ago

One problem with ID by leaf form is that so many shapes of leaf can appear on the same tree. There is a sort of general pattern for a few like Brunswick with the deeply cut "Okra" leafs, but when it comes down to it, the fruit is probably a better clue.
    For using leaf form as an ID make sure you select from higher up in the canopy where the leaves are in full sun.
    I have seen all sorts of leaves on my Conadria from lobed to entire- and large to small.
    Other than the Brunswick they are tough to discern.

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Who-hooo! I have now have cuttings to trade after a visit to the mamma tree, email me if interested, otherwise you may get cuttings for a handling charge/cutting plus shipping (maintaining a fig collection is not cheap or free for me).

If we have planned a trade and you want some of these instead, let me know!

Thanks.

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This tree is at least 30 years old and so it its mother tree. The owner is 80 years old and told me where it came from, an old abandoned school located in the town. He recollected that the momma of the momma tree might still there. I asked him about dropping figs and he didn't recall that it dropped figs and in Socorro it can get up to 105F in the summer. Very hot and dry with slight monsoons in June-July.

Some of the mini-logs that I have from the branch that was going to be cut off had so many rings that I could not count them all. These I will bury in potting soil as they should root pretty easily.

The owner did mention that the very old branches when pruned back seemed to die entirely. I have never had a fig tree that old but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• radiuspr2
    14 years ago

Don't know for sure but just came across somebody sellin fig seeds on Ebay that has one labeled Anatolian Akova fig seeds. Looks similar but without seeing the leaves its hard to compare. I believe these are from Turkey and the seller has many other seeds for sale (would rather have cuttings) but if anyone knows the seller, I'd like to know more about them.

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Radiuspr2,

This fig tree is a common fig and we have no wasp here in NM. Regards.

• mrhappy
    14 years ago

What did this tree end up with as a name?

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mrhappy,

The fig tree is called "Socorro Black".

• mrhappy
    14 years ago

Thank you. It sure is pretty - inside and out.

• radiuspr2
    13 years ago

I contacted the seller of the Anatolian fig seeds on Ebay asking if it was a self fertile tree and if cuttings were available instead of seeds. He told me that those figs are self fertile but Turkish law prohibits cuttings or seedlings from being sent out of the country. Anyone heard of this?

• gorgi
    13 years ago

radiuspr2,
    Fig (F.carica) seeds do not breed true (i.e., seedlings
    are NOT the exact-same as the mother tree). Also, there
    is only a very small chance that the offspring is even
    edible...good luck (it is somewhat like winning a lottery).

• gorgi
    13 years ago

radiuspr2,
    Importing/exporting figs (legally) is a very expensive
    and lenghty process (if allowed). Not worth it, to the
    'average' Joe. However, it is a well known fact, that
    many heirloom figs existing today in the USA, (somehow)
    came along with oldie immigants (most likely as dormant twigs).

• radiuspr2
    13 years ago

Thats what I was thinking when I came across the pics. It would be an interesting story if these two varieties were the same!

• mauizeit
    12 years ago

Did you get my e-mail with pics regarding fig I.D? I am new with my IPad not sure if I sent it correctly?

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES