Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loslunasfarms

Possilbe Celeste?

loslunasfarms
15 years ago

I finally have figs from the tree in my backyard. We are renting the house so history of the tree is spotty. My eye tells me these are Celeste. What do the fig experts think?

Comments (16)

• arigato
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmm

From the figs 4 fun site I noticed that the pics of celeste on their site had flesh which is strawberry red (rather than brown/amber as yours appear to be), and the fruit had a more pear like shape (more pronounced neck) Depending on the source, some say Celeste bears only a main crop earlier in the season but yours bore fruit in Sept. But the size looks about right. My Celeste is too young to make a comparison. Ill let the others with more experience with Celeste weigh in.

• vern_2006
    15 years ago

Jose, your figs and leaves look like Celeste to me. I have a couple of young trees. They have been bearing fruit for the last couple of weeks.

Vern

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

It is a Celeste no doubt ,despite rounder fruits.
    Keep in mind there are more strain of Celeste.
    tHIS IS ONE OF THEM!!!

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

tHE ONLY PROBLEM i HAVE WITH IT ,IT IS :WHY IS SO LATE IN rIPENING?
    I have 3 Celeste strains and all are done ,and gone for about a week,now.
    IS it planted in Shade?

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

JBS, Both of my celeste are still ripining figs, we just had 4 but, because of the rain from Gustav & dear old Ike, they wern't very good, I agree with Vern & Herman, looks like my Celeste's figs.
    Cecil

• arigato
    15 years ago

Herman, (or any one else)

As for various Celeste strains are you familiar with any variants that produce as many as 3 crops from July to Sept (and possibly even later)?

I have some cuttings from a unknown mother tree with fruit that looks much like the figs posted above and cracks slightly like a mission while ripening, has a sweet, berry over tone to it and when fully grown is around 15 feet high and perhaps wider here in NC zone 7b.

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

Arigato:Celeste doesn't crack,and has only main crop.
    Rarelly you will get a couple of fruits as breba,that usually drop before ripe.

• arigato
    15 years ago

Herman,

Normally I would agree, but that contradicts what another poster said to me not long ago:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0808274618380.html

For me, the Celeste fig confusion continues!

• fignut
    15 years ago

I've got a similar problem. I was going to start a new thread to ask for help, but it looks as if these figs are a lot alike.
    I bought this fig from a reliable source as Brown Turkey. I've never grown Brown Turkey, and expected a larger fig. When the fruit started ripening in late August, my first reaction was that this fig isn't bland - it's as good as Celeste! Years ago I had read an article by AJ Bullard in the Southern Fruit Fellowship newsletter comparing Brown Turkey and Celeste, and noting confusion between them. And after trying my "Brown Turkey", I understood how folks could confuse them. Then my Celestes started ripening - and I got confused.
    Here is a picture with "Brown Turkey" on the left and Celeste on the right.

To my eye, it's similar to the fig that you have loslunasfarms. The neck on mine seems a little longer, but I've gotten many with your coloring. The color difference between my two figs is pretty accurate. The "Brown Turkey" is browner, and the Celeste a definite violet.
    Here are pictures of the leaf and interior.

This is an excerpt from the article by A.J. Bullard in the Southern Fruit Fellowship newsletter (Issue #5 1989):
    "It so happens that the two fig varieties most commonly grown east of the Mississippi are the two most confused...It seems Brown Turkey got the inside track with figs early on and became the Frigadere of refrigerators so to speak. Nurseries mislabeled Celeste as Brown Turkey - some by honest ignorance and some to sell Brown Turkey figs which customers called for. Some major nurseries didn't know the difference."
    "Both varieties are adapted to the Southeast so why does it make any difference?"
    "First as my fig Guru Paul Starnes says, don't ask a fig owner what variety he has because he doesn't know but calls it Brown Turkey or Celeste (Sugar) - usually having the varieties reversed."
    ...."Celeste is the most common fig grown in the Southeast and is somewhat more cold hardy than Brown Turkey....Celeste trees stood that had been hurt very little in over 40 years enduring at least one zero and one 1 degree F ...without much kill-back if any....The owner said the Celeste had never been killed back in its 40+ years but the Brown Turkey, 'got killed back to the ground every few years'. Same exposure, soil type, climate, etc...."
    "Brown Turkey will bear fruit the first season after being 'leveled' on sucker growth while Celeste won't. Brown Turkey also will produce a Breba crop if the terminals aren't killed back much in addition to a main crop. Celeste almost never (Dave Ulmer) has brebas to mature....The Turkey brebas are larger than the main crop figs and much larger than Celeste. Turkey brebas are often 'lop sided' but to my taste about like the main crop. Celeste figs are more symmetrical, smaller and sweeter than Turkey."
    "One ID I find useful with developing furit is that the scales around the eye of half grown and over Turkey figs are pink or red while those of comparably sized Celeste figs are green. The eye of mature Turkey figs is somewhat open while Celeste is closed and is therefore a better keeper - resisting souring better. Celeste seems to have a longer stem than Turkey but the skin color isn't a whole lot different."
    As to leaf shape both are classified as 'grape' leaf .....but a common basic difference exists between the most typical leaf type of Celeste compared with Brown Turkey. Sometimes to see this difference more clearly one must examine sucker growth or new growth resulting from heading back old limbs. Celeste leaves are slightly broader and tend to have more serrations. Turkey leaves are slightly more elongated and tend to have few serrations per lobe.".......
    "I find Celeste the M.V.P. of figs and an excellent stock to graft less cold hardy varieties onto to make them hardier."

This fig is excellent, it's small, the scales are green and some are light pink. I didn't get any brebas, but the tree is young. Brown Turkey and Celeste are apparently similar enough that people confuse them. So is it likely my "Brown Turkey" a Brown Turkey, or another Celeste variant?

• hlyell
    15 years ago

Mary Ann,

Your Brown Turkey is the same one I have, and I agree that it is just as good and sweet as Celeste. There have been years that I actually preferred it over Celeste - especially when we have a dry period during ripening. One day a couple of years ago after an unusually dry couple of weeks I ate some of these Brown Turkey figs right off the tree. Those figs were as enjoyable as any fig I've ever tasted.

• fignut
    15 years ago

Henry, It's a wonderful fig, but are you sure it's BT? Do you get two crops off it?
    With all the confusion between Celeste and BT, I wanted to make sure it isn't a Celeste variant.

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Fignut/Henry,
    What was the source of your BT?
    If need be, you may answer me privately.

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

I had one just like that brown turkey ,bought it from Miller Nursery.Discarded it for being too small,at the time did not know that small fruited figs are tasting better than larger one.

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

Also got mad on Miller nurseries because at the time they were showing a picture of large oblong figs,that suppose to be Brown Turkey,but when it fruited the third year it had a couple of tidi ,bity,fruit little larger than a blueberry.
    I got so frustrated that I yanked it out from the grownd at once ,no tools used,and put in Garbage.I know it was not nice but I did it.
    Happy Gardening

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Fignut,

I am not sure if it is a BT or not, BUT small sized figs
    (around 1 inch), seem to perform better here in the NE;
    earlier ripening, less spitting and hopefully sweeter...

Enjoy!

• penandpike
    12 years ago

Do you folks think that this is also a Celeste fig. It is supposed to be a Brogiotto nero (Barnisotte), but it looks more like a Celeste to me.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!