Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs for cool areas

Posted by pylot usda 9b, sunset 17 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 1:36

I am planning to order some cuttings from UCD, and I have my eyes on the following:

Excel
Verte
Adriatic
St. Jean
Violette de Bordeaux
Grosse Monstrueuse de Lipari
San Pietro
Castle Kennedy

Any suggestions as to which ones would perform well in a mild summer climate? I have Desert King and Osborne Prolific so far and they're fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs for cool areas

Unless you have a special reason not to, you should include Hardy Chicago.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 11:49

Black Jack has ripened well for me the past 5 years in my semicoastal mild summer climate. I just got a Peter's Honey rooted cutting this spring which is already growing about a dozen figlets, probably to ripen by November--it's looking like a winner so far, I'll post you when they mature as to how they taste.

(this summer the temps have mostly hovered in the high 60s to low 70s, and it looks as if the fall weather is going to be much the same)

o

• Posted by sffog 10/SanFran (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 12:27

there was an article on june 30, 2010 in the SF chronicle (www.sfgate.com)"Hot figs to grow in cool places)you might be interested in. i made a hard copy if you missed it i will be happy to fax it to anyone here in US, unfortunately not international

o

Here's a link to that fig article.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot figs to grow in cool places

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here