Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
September Figs Update

Posted by ch3rri z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 3:41

I bought my figs from treesofjoy on March 2010. They were still dormant when I bought them. After some care they grew beautifully and produced some delicious figs! It is hard to describe the taste and some more fruity than the other. All were very sweet. The skin on these figs were thin compared to the store bought. The taste of course is way better than the store bought. I just ate some brooklyn dark and it was so good, juicy, and fruity. The brooklyn dark fig is the largest in size compared to ronde de bordeaux, black mission, or hardy chicago. The dark portuguese figs still not near ripening. I would say the dark portuguese is a late season fig in PA or because this is the first season so the figs came a little late. If you ask me which is my favorite, I would say I like them all. If I have to pick then I would say brooklyn dark and ronde is the best because of taste, size, and color. Both have a really nice color inside. The ronde is a little prettier because of the dark purple color and reddish inside. Ronde is also a fast growing tree. I might have to change the pot again next year. Just picked a few more Ronde so I will enjoy these slowly.....hehehehe

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Click for more pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: September Figs Update

After a prolong wait to finally taste new varieties of figs grown on our own trees, is always something very special to us fignuts. Your figs look delicious. If you like them now, wait until your young trees mature. Dark Portuguese and Hardy Chicago in my yard really improved in flavor this season.

Dan

o

I'm glad you got a decent crop from your trees. I remember when you got them early this year. I'm happy that you like Brooklyn Dark, it's one of my favorite tasting figs, but it's usually ripens later than others due to where it's planted. It does better in the container in cooler areas. The Dark Portuguese is an early variety, just give it another year.

Bass

o

Thanks Bass. All are pretty good. The hardy chicago might be better next year. The Ronde figs are smaller for but nice.

o

Ch3rri,you've got mail !

o

I have one fig on the Italian tree. It is bagged and guarded. I think next year I am going to get more I have 5 trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here