Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs in Uruguay?

Posted by price403 Zone 6b, WV (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 7:35

Anybody know of any sites I can go to for fig growing information in Uruguay? I'm thinking of moving there and I'd like to know if I can grow figs there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs in Uruguay?

Just spent a good few moments reading about Uruguay on Wikipedia. Moderate temps year round, and sufficient rainfall (40 inches per year. Perfect!) for fig production. Never freezes, but cool winters and warm but not hot summers. Oh man, figs must do great there! I would too, but alas! Florida is home for me.

Enjoy your time there.

o

Thanks for the info! I'm going to see about the legality of bringing fig cuttings into Uruguay with me. I'll post any further information I find here in case anybody else wants to move south.

o

Hey, thanks for staying with the forum. Further reading indicates that Uruguay is a fig crop exporter. You can obviously get some when you arrive. If, on the other hand, you cannot get fig trees there, I will personally mail you three cuttings from different varieties. No charge. If they get thru customs, what the heck.

o

Thank you, Budbackeast! A friend and I were talking about a good way to "sneak" fig and other cuttings into Uruguay to avoid them dying if customs drug their feet. We came to the conclusion that marking scions with a fine point sharpie then dipping them in wax to preserve moisture would possibly keep them viable for a few weeks. I could then make "baskets" or "place mats" from them to get them in easily. LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here