Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Newbie to Figs

moosemac
13 years ago

Hi All,

I'm a long time gardener who adores fresh figs. I stumbled upon an opportunity to acquire a fig tree last weekend and came home with a beautiful 6' tree (trunk diameter at the base is about 2"). No I don't know the variety. I was so excited I forgot to write it down. I emailed the folks I got it from and hopefully will hear back soon as to the variety. All I can tell you is the leaves are more like a hand with the fingers spread and the figs are supposed to be large and delicious.

Now my dilemna, I live in NH and I do not have an unheated garage or storage shed. I have overwintered plants and trees in my basement before but the temps are 50-ish even in the dead of winter.

Will the fig be OK with those temps? I've never had any luck burying, mulching, covering and overwintering anything not zone appropriate outside. I live on a hill and the wind chill freezes everything solid. Frost can get down 3-4' in the ground easily.

I was also told I should re-pot the fig in the next couple weeks doubling the container size. It's is currently in a 3 gallon pot. Should I re-pot it before storing it?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company