Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrysalesman

Fig Spoilage from Fermentation?

berrysalesman
11 years ago

I have twelve young Brunswick fig trees that have been producing large amounts of figs over the last 3 years. From mid-August to mid-September I sell these figs at good prices at a farmers market in Northern Virginia where they are something of a rarity. I do my best to produce tasty good-looking figs organically. Brunswick figs, unfortunately, split badly and suffer other bad effects in rainy weather. Over recent weeks this area has experienced frequent night-time showers which have damaged my figs in an unfamiliar way. With these showers it appears the eyes of my figs have opened a little, and allowed insects to enter the fruit and initiate softening around the eye. The softening spreads and makes the figs unsellable. The softening appears to be fermentation, judging by the smell. A knowledgeable friend suggested the entering insects are bringing a wild yeast into the fruit causing the fermentation. I wonder if others have experienced this problem. My friend�s explanation sounds plausible but with so little local knowledge of figs available, I come to the large community of East Coast fig producers seeking help. Comments anyone?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz