Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? For Herman about Sicilian Thumbs

Posted by giants_2007 10 PSL FL Sal (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 9:30

Is this what you mean by 5 lobes and thumbs might be a Sicilian possibly from Etna area? These figs are averaging 24-26 grams some smaller at 22 grams
blk u/k 9/8/10
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? For Herman about Sicilian Thumbs

Absolutelly That fig type,is the Mount Ethna ,mountain fig type,that shepperds find at high altitudes,growing in the wild.
A whole group of figs is related to this mountain fig,the most famous Hardy Chicago.
Of course cousins of this fig are found far away in Porutgal,as Black portughese,and in France as Marseilles black(with larger fruits),also Gino's fig has smaller fruits with more intense flavor,and more sugar.
Sal Gene,has lighter color and more round,etc.
These figs are all cold resistant and take the rain very well.
I am not saying they are identical,but I would say that all are related,and all makes wonderfull cultivars in adverce rainy,cold winter climates.

o

Thanks Again Herman for your insight. I guess in a season or two I should have an idea if in fact it is a Hardy Chicago or a possible strain of Sal(Gene). I believe this tree came from Linguaglossa (tongue of lava) which is a province of Catania Sicily.
You are correct in it having a tight closed eye that resists rain very well as it has been through the test here in Fl. This tree was being grown in zone 6a NY and did well

o

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 23:36

The bottom parts of the leaf looks like a pair of cowboy boots standing heel to heel.

noss

o

Sal,

Is this your unknown black?

JD

o

JD, Yes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here