Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any chance these late summer cuttings will make it til spring?

Posted by frankcbd Virginia (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 10:48

I did some googling, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I had the opportunity to take several cuttings from a Brown Turkey fig tree on 9-9-12 and thought I'd take a chance and see if they'll root and survive through winter. I placed half my cuttings in a clear plastic box with sphagnum moss and half in a baggie wrapped in damp newspaper, then placed in the corner of the living room. The cuttings are about 8" long. What steps should I take throughout winter to keep them alive, assuming some will root? Will I eventually need to provide a heating lamp if they make it to clear plastic cups during the cold months? Any tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any chance these late summer cuttings will make it til spring

If outside, and it is practical...I would bring them indoors and not worry. Keep damp for the first month (you should have buds and even small leafs growing by then) and then water only after the soil seems to be drying. Growth indoors is good and should provide you with a good root system to plant during the coming Spring. Figs don't have to have chill hours as most fruits require.
If outside and are going to be left there, I would cover well to prevent freezing. Water sparingly, you do not want the cutting to grow new growth outside during this period.
The picture here are cuttings I took from a broken limb the first week of September. Already budding out in a five gallon bucket.

o
RE: Any chance these late summer cuttings will make it til spring

Thank you for that valuable info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here