Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ivan's Fig Farm - Dittmer, Missouri - Fresh fig market

Posted by ingevald 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 11:11

Ivan Stoilov is growing figs for the fresh fig market in high tunnel or hoop houses, in MISSOURI, near St. Louis. This is an amazing operation. His greenhouses are cleverly designed so that they heated in the winter with solar and geothermal heat.

The first article is located here http://mtngrv.missouristate.edu/BerryBasket/bbwinter08.pdf on page 5. There is also an article on high tunnel greenhouses on the previous page.

The next article is brief and is located here http://www.fairshares.org/files/FS Newsletter16 8-06-08.pdfhttp://www.fairshares.org/files/FS Newsletter16 8-06-08.pdf

The last article is found here http://agebb.missouri.edu/hort/mvga/archives/May08/mvga3.htm

For those of us that have the yard space up north, this model should give us some ideas.

Ingevald

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivan's Fig Farm - Dittmer, Missouri - Fresh fig market

ingevald,

You just about outdid yourself with this post!
I don't really need a green house here but some others might find this veddy intelesting!:-)

Thanx
Cecil

o

I have one more link to add. An article about his fig operation just came out in the St. Louis newspaper the other day titled 'Figs Fresh and Fabulous.' It is a good article and includes some more pictures.

Ingevald

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresh Figs and Fabulous

o

Great find, again! Keep it coming. I wish I had the land to try out the geothermal greenhouse technique.

o

Thanks for the posting and link i enjoy reading those articles.
Good for him !!!

o

Wish it spoke more about that geothermal method he uses, the only one Im aware of is for homes and they drill pretty deep for that I think.

o

Hello,
I am scheduled to visit Ivan in a couple of weeks. From what I understand, his system is not geothermal in the typical sense. He has pipes laid about 3 feet under the soil about 1 foot apart and pumps warm air through them during the day time and then extracts the heat at night - more details when I have a chance to see the system.
Ingevald

o

I've read about geothermal in mother earth news, and there are 2 methods, vertical pipes laid in like an oil well shaft and horizontal pipes like a grid or septic system grid.
Kat

o

Where can I easily buy fresh figs, or canned figs in the st Louis area?

Thanks

o

nmharris, Have you talked to the produce manager @ Schnucks??? My sister's friend works @ Schnucks in the produce dept. He says they order them when they are available on the produce list. His store has a big following for figs, so they always order them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here