Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpc57

Fig growers in Virginia

jpc57
12 years ago

Are there any other fig growers on this forum in Virginia? I am on the Middle Peninsula and would like to hear from other VA growers how their figs are doing, best varieties for VA, etc. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• frozenjoe
    12 years ago

Hi there. I'm not in your area of the country. But I do know about a website that you probably want to check out:
    http://www.eastcoastfigs.com

The website says that they maintain a fig orchard in St. Inigoes, Maryland. That should be a very similar climate to yours. They list many different varieties that they grow at their orchard, and they also have some notes on how those varieties are doing.

Where you live should be a pretty good climate for growing cold hardy figs inground. You may want to consider Hardy Chicago, Marseilles VS, Celeste, and similar type figs.

Joe

• vaplantman
    12 years ago

jpc57,
    I'm in Newport News, VA and grow 5 varieties in ground and another 5 varieties in pots. Violette de Bordeaux, Celeste, Strawberry Verte, Negronne, Peter's Honey in ground. Hardy Chicago, Alma, Blue Celeste, Panache, Osborne Prolific, Verte in pots. I have lots of info and photos about fig growing on my blog:

http://point09acres.blogspot.com/

Hope some of the info is useful or helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: .09 Acres

• dancinglemons
    12 years ago

I am in central Virginia around Richmond. I have 2 figs now both in 18/20 gallon rope buckets from Home Depot. One Colasanti Dark and one Stella. I really like the Colasanti but might let Stella go.

vaplantman,
    Which of your figs is the sweetest?? I am looking at getting another fig but want one that is really sweet.

Cheers,
    DL

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

Stella is ,one of the five best sweetest,figs I ever found and,I grew in trial,close to 150 cultivars if not many more.
    You aether do not have a genuine Stella,or it doesn't have the right nutrients in pot to grow properly ripe and tasty fruits.
    Of course mine is in ground and makes fruits ,naturally without stress being in pot.
    It grows slow,and is cold hardy to be in ground in your climate.

• dancinglemons
    12 years ago

herman2,

You give me a good idea. I am going to see if I can find a suitable location in our yard for Stella. Looks like the last of DH's boxwoods are about to go bye-bye.......

DL

• jpc57
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies, everyone! vaplantman, thanks for the link--going to check it out now! Glad that someone close by is also growing figs--this is my first attempt!

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all, sorry responding to a very old post. I am in Richmond, VA. Have I think its Green Ischcia, chicago hardy, celeste,brown turkey, osborne prolific, maybe kadota, Marseilles andOlympic. I agree rains really messed up figs like chicago hardy, fruits turn sour and spoil. But other figs like osborne and ischia not affected by rains. All of my inground trees huge over 15 feet, and will be pruned heavily next year

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County