Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ampersand12

Cold Hardy Fig List by Flavor

ampersand12
9 years ago

Hi all!

I originally posted this on f4f, but with the renewed activity this side of the internet I figured it should be posted here as well if anyone can use it. Most user names and links go back to f4f. Please note I don't have the majority of these varieties, though many I do hope to acquire and add personal experiences with varieties in time.

I have created a listing of hardy, productive varieties for growing in ground in Zone 6 sorted by flavor groups used by ascpete with a brief description. I personally want to get a sampling of the different flavor families and thought it would be helpful to newbies such as myself and others to have a list of what varieties are close in flavor so as to avoid too many similar tastes in a small or starting collection. I canâÂÂt take any responsibility for the original research and postings: most was done by ascpete, herman2, mgginva, Bass, drivewayfarmer, robertcharper, and many others. I merely compiled it into one post. If you see mistakes, have suggestions for additions, or have missing pieces of info that I couldnâÂÂt find, please let me know either by message or comments! I hope to update it periodically as I find more pieces of the puzzle.

For the purpose of this list, hardy means the plants should survive in ground (Zone 6) given they are healthy and well cared for. As always, they will benefit from protection the first few years of life at a minimum and/or being container grown for the first several years. These varieties should be able to ripen in zone 6, however those listed as C may not always. Some may be marginal in Zone 6 and I've tried to note them. There are certainly many unknown and little known varieties that arenâÂÂt covered for the sake of being relatively brief.

The flavor profiles are as listed by ascpete :Sugar, Honey, Adriatic Berry, Bordeaux Berry, Dark Berry, and Exotic Berry

Ripening Time (if available) are denoted by A (early), B (mid), and C (late). I have copied them with his permission, thanks! Also included is whether the fig is light or dark and some general comments.

Please visit and/or download as needed: Cold Hardy Fig List by Flavor

Thanks!
Kelby

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm