Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have buds breaking out along the old

Posted by kumquat1 9a N Fla (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 11:46

hard wood, 1 foot from the ground on my Celeste fig. We live in a strange microclimate near a bayou on the Gulf coast. Almost never get a frost since the climate change has kicked into gear. All the buds previously have come at the petiole of new growth. This tree has only been bearing 4 years. What's up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have buds breaking out along the old

have you cut any of the top growth back? this sometimes will push out lower figglets and leaf buds.

o

Last winter I pruned quite a bit of the top growth. Did that result in a delayed budding?

o

could very well be. do you grow any other fig trees? If so are the others doing the same thing? I'm going to be honest I have pear trees flowering right now and I'm dumbfounded by why they would bloom in fall even 1 apple trees is blooming and my friend is getting blooms on his blueberries. I've seen some crazy things this year but this month tops it all.

o

The weather is crazy almost October and we 80-90 degrees. I had good fig crop and after collecting the ripened figs I told the trees thank you go dormant now. But this never happened the trees re full again with little figs and I thought they never ripen. Today I was surprised with several figs changing color from green to pink and getting ready to ripen. Am I complaining NOOO

o

In the last two weeks, my leaves are drying up and falling off...but at the same time I have a large number of unripe figs and as yours...new leafs budding all over the older branches. Normal? I don't know.

o

By the way...I live in the Texas Gulf coast area.

o

"I'm going to be honest I have pear trees flowering right now and I'm dumbfounded by why they would bloom in fall even 1 apple trees is blooming and my friend is getting blooms on his blueberries. I've seen some crazy things this year but this month tops it all."

One of my olive trees has had blooms recently and now one of my peach trees is starting to bloom.No blooms on my pear or apple trees yet.I have been clipping off any new figs since mid August.I have been eating sweet ripe wild persimmons for about 3 weeks which normally would be ripe after the first frost in 3rd or 4th week of October.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here