Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlebeann

What to do with unripened figs and its tree now?

jlebeann
9 years ago

I bought three fig trees (Hardy Chicago, Ficazzana, Lattarula) earlier this year and had them inside the garage during the end of winter to early spring and then I put them outside once the temps reached the low 20's.

I'm in Toronto and our summer was not too warm this year. The temperature was pretty much in the low- to mid-20's all season with less than a handful of 30C days.

Mid-July, I had about a dozen figs on one tree, and about two dozen on each of the other two. They all grew leaves and eventually figs started popping up, but they still have not ripened. I think I had one semi-purple fig on the Hardy Chicago about a month ago but a squirrel got to it before I could!
I still have the unripened figs on the trees (anywhere from 3-5cm each) but the temperature has dropped significantly in my area in the last couple of weeks. We're expecting this week only to be in the 20's but I'm sure the temp will drop back down to 15C and even lower as fall progresses.

Do I still let my figs try to ripen? or is that it? No figs for me this year?
What should I do? I suppose I should be putting them away in the garage for winter soon?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)