Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hlyell_gw

Willis Orchard Co.

hlyell
16 years ago

Anyone have any experience with this vendor? I believe they also do business under the name Pardise Palm Co. There was nothing at gardenwatch about Willis, but there were a couple of positive comments about Paradise Palm Co. I thought I'd ask because there are in somewhat close proximity to the infamous TyTy nursery. I spoke with the owner, Jason Willis, and he said he was not connected with TyTy in any way and wished they weren't located so close to him. Well, anyway...anyone done business with Willis? Thanks. Henry

Comments (143)

• falconfling
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't read this thread before ordering from this bunch. I placed two orders about a week apart, for a spring and a fall delivery. They both arrived at the same time, THREE weeks after the order was made via web. The condition of the plants was fair at best and with early Texas heat, I've lost 6 of 8 fruit and olive trees (not surprising since 5 were to be shipped in fall when it wasn't too late to plant them) and all six blueberry plants, three raspberry and three grapes....many hundred dollars worth. Am Express doesn't think this is a problem and Willis will "replace" the dead ones...I suppose with fair condition plants shipped late in the wrong season. I wouldn't order from them again if they were the only nursery in the world. My initial call complaining was met with at best brusque indifference.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

falconfling cut off a piece that has both root and trunk/scion and sent it back to them. They will send replacements. They will ship the replacements for free. This is the time to plant in your zone and also when they have fresh stock to ship.

I lost a Garden Prince Almond they sent me. It never leafed out. I ordered it a little late and planted it when temps were in the 90's and rising to 100+. I should have ordered it in the fall. I plan on sending it in for replacement next week.

Best of luck to you.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I am the Unfortunate who bought trees from Willis. They are quick to ship after you order. The sizes of the shipped trees are a joke. It does not match what they claim. I bought 4 Figs trees from them two were very little but fortunately started to have leaves. The two big ones Blackjack and Brown Turkey were dead on arrival. I planted them and waited for 4 weeks for one leave to show and none showed up. I called them I was told scratch the lower part if it is brown wood it is dead. I did and it was sure brown. They told me cut the roots and mail it to us. I did mail the roots to them by priority mail. It took me three months with phone calls and all I hear "we did not get them" I was mad and told them I am going to GA consumer protection. After that they send me an email with Bill of the two trees with zero balance. I waited and waited and waited for the replacement trees to arrive I just got it yesterday three months after their email. Off course it is dormant and I don't know If it is alive or not. Has to wait to next spring to know. THey Just wasted the entire season for me. In my order was 4 Apricot trees and 2 Grape trees for fall shipping I just got it I have no idea if the trees are alive or not (Dormant) I will know in the spring. I promised myself in the spring whatever trees are dead or alive I will never call them about it and just lick my wounds. I promised myself again NEVER ORDER ANY THING FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN.
    In comparison I ordered Blueberry trees from DeGrandchamp Farm In Mich. A true professionals and I am so happy and I close my eyes and order from them again and I am recommending them to all my family and Friends.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Buttom Line Willis has no customer service to speak of. I am dealing with two other Nurseries Degrandchamp Farm In Michigan and Fast growing trees in NC. I am amazed how good their customer service is. After I received the plants and Planted them I needed technical advice about the PH of the soil, Fertilizing, watering and winterizing. With email I got all the information which helped me to have healthy plants in reasonable amount of time. All Car Dealers sell cars made by FORD. But what makes the difference between good Dealer and a lousy Dealer is the service you receive after the sale is completed. I buy my cars from a dealer 90 miles away and not in my State. I don't like to drive 90 miles but I buy from no other dealer but them because of the professional customer Service I receive. I told Google about the bad treatment I received from Willis because all Willis Internet orders go through Google. Google is over sized Company and they did not care. Before you order do some homework and don't get fooled with how the good the Internet site looks, Willis has a very good looking Internet site.
    Abe

• thisisme
    13 years ago

foolishpleasure I guess we all can have different experiences. One of the companies you really like had such a bad reputation on the Garden Watchdog. May people were saying they took their money and never sent any trees. After which the company threatened a law suit if their company was not removed from the Garden Watchdog. Thus they are no longer on the Garden Watchdog.

On the other hand I was one of Willis's first and frequent customers and I have never had a problem with them. As far as customer service goes they have answered my every call and met my every expectation.

I realize you feel you are on some sort of crusade. However in doing so you have directed people to another company whose Garden Watchdog feedback was even worse than the company you are trashing. If the average person gets the average service that was posted on TGW about one of the companies you say is good. The average person who buys from them on your advice will be ripped off.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

thisisme

I am not on a crusade agaist Willis Co I don't know how you got this idea. I am just stating my experience with them which was unsatisfactory. Also I am not recommending any nursery to any body and I am not a salesman for any body. If you took the time to read my post carefully you will notice I said before you order DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If you have bad experience with fast growing tree Nursery in NC my experience with them is completely different from yours. We have different interpretation when we pass judgment. Even courts and Judges has different interpretation of the same law. That is why we have appeal courts and supreme courts.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

foolishpleasure When I send back the carcass of my dead Garden Prince I will pay the extra cost for "Proof of Delivery". See, I do read every word of you posts.

I have seen you post negatively about Willis in several threads. To be fair, if I had your same experience I would not be happy with them either. I however can tell whether or not a tree is alive or dead when its dormant. I contacted Willis the day my tree arrived and several times there after with updates. They are expecting my tree to be returned and I don't anticipate there to be any problems.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

You Like Willis Nursery Good Luck. I set a policy for myself not to buy any trees from any Nursery who sells bare foot trees. I pay more money to get my trees with full root intact in a pot. My experience tells me it saves one season and lots of aggravation. As you may already know the people who love trees as a hubby like myself has lots of aggravation such as Squirrels, Wasps, Maggots and Cuddling Moth just to name a few The last thing I want not to have a nursery to aggravate me. If you read the 100 some posts in this thread you will notice about 80% of the posters complained about Willis which is an extension of TYTY who do not take care of their customers. The Fast Growing trees Nursery which you had bad experience with then. We knew about your bad experience of your posting trashing them every chance you had and nobody accused you of any thing like a crusader. I said in my post Do your Home work and don't depend on hearsay. Freedom of speech is wholly right guaranteed by GOD and our constitution.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Foolishpleasure you must not read what I post. I never said I had ever ordered anything from Fast Growing Trees. I never even mentioned their name. To the best of my knowledge I have never mentioned them before let alone trashed them. I said I had ordered from Willis. Willis Orchard is not TyTy and they are not affiliated with them in any way. If you have read this thread as I have you would know that. Saying they are is not freedom of speech; its slander. Slander is neither protected by God or the constitution.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

It seems to me you are affiliated with Willis in some way. They are a lousy nursery which will never get a penny business with me. This is not slander it is FACT.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

foolishpleasure I have been retired for the last 18+ years. Before that I was a carpenter. I have never worked in the nursery business. To this point I have never sold a plant or tree in my life. Neither have I ever worked for anyone or had any business affiliation with anyone who has. Just because you think something does not make it true. Yet for some reason you open your mouth and say it as if it is.

You said â¦.âWillis which is an extension of TYTY who do not take care of their customers.â

That is not a fact. That is a slanderous lie.

You can âseemâ all you like but just because something seems like something in your mind does not make it true. I donât work for Willis or anyone or have business affiliations with anyone of any kind. Itâs getting harder and harder for me to sort out your lies from your outright speculation and slander. At this point I donât believe anything you have said anymore.

Just for full disclosure.

I have agreed to sell someone one rooted cutting next year. No money has exchanged hands. I also hope to sell cuttings and some rooted cuttings on eBay someday. I don't ever want to run a business or have any business obligations or affiliations with any nursery or anyone else for that matter. I'm fully retired and plan to stay that way. Anyone who says anything to the contrary is a liar.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

Foolishpleasure, I've known thisisme for almost two years now and he is not connected to either TY TY or Willis. He's been giving others advice and helping us out on this forum for over 6 years.

The guy lives almost two thousand miles from either nursery.
    You owe him an apology.

Also to my knowledge...Ty Ty is not connected to Willis. You had a bad experience or two with a nursery. Most of us have at one time or another. Get over it.

Dave
    (also not connected to TY TY or Willis nurseries).

• niptrixbop
    13 years ago

My experience with Willis for whatever it is worth. Maybe three years ago, I got a fig, persimmon, pear, and 2 plum trees. The trees arrived in perfect and well packaged condition.

The following growing season, the plum trees did not make it. I called Willis and was told to send the dead trees as proof that they had not made it. I did not do it right away; in the fall, after calling Willis again, I sent them the dried roots with small piece of the stems--to save on shipping costs.

Although, I was asked for proof of order and purchase, Willis replaced the dead plum trees with 2 plants in excellent condition. I planted them, one made it, the other did not. The one that did not make it was in just as good condition as the one that did. I did not ask for a second replacement because I feel that I wouldn't be fair to this business to ask for a replacement for a plant that was in good condition when I got it.

I had all the shipping labels, order confirmation, date of first call, name of person with whom I spoke, etc., etc. I make it a practice to keep all these records. Sometimes, returns and refunds are not the most pleasant experiences, after much frustration, I have learned to have all my documentation and am ready to follow the return hurdles that one may be required to comply with.

I understand the frustration of receiving merchandise that is not in the condition that one expected it to be; and to add insult to injury, one has to follow the return procedures, which sometimes are a waste of time and effort. On the other hand, one has to have empathy for businesses, especially if the quality of the product is good and the business follows the policy that was explained before ordering.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Enough said about this Nursery. I have no time to waste. I spent $600 on trees from them whether it works or not and whether it is dead or alive I am done with them. I am not going to go to the poor house for $600. Move on.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

foolishpleasure I have been retired for the last 18+ years. Before that I was a carpenter
    ==========================================================
    So you are a carpenter. I hate carpenters because as a carpenter I am a failure. I must spent 5,000 dollars on electric tools. Electric drills, Electric Jig saws, Electric chain saw, table saw, Electric screw drivers even I have electric hammer. I built a small steps for my Patio and My kids and Girl Friend laugh at it. I keep trying now I am building a little shed I like working with wood It keeps me off the streets.

• rafed
    13 years ago

foolishpleasure,

Good way to Break The Ice.

Maybe "thisisme" can give you some advice on how to hammer a nail onto a 2x4.

Rafed

• gorgi
    13 years ago

Plenty of real good figs stuff here [F4F]:
    http://shop.ebay.com/pitangadiego/m.html
    No questions about that.
    Offer is time-limited (ebay).
    Be aware that some special
    (one per order) agricultural inspection/paperwork
    fee may apply for plants shipped to some (USA) states.

Fig scions are also usually offered yearly around February
    (I presume that the agr. fee is not required there).

Future:
    Check out home-site (also plenty of free fig info):
    http://figs4fun.com

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I think Foolishpleasure owes Willis Orchard an apology. I think he owes me an apology and I think he owes the members of Garden Web an apology for what he has done,

I do not think he is being truthful about his dealings with Willis Orchard. I think anyone looking at what he has said about his purchase from Willis Orchard before he posted in this thread would be shocked and sickened by his remarks.

A little look at what Foolishpleasure has said about Willis Orchard and their trees.

Here he http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0715022322862.html said..
    Wed, Jul 28, 2010 âI wanted to start some Fig trees too. I just planted two trees one called Black jack and the other is called Brown Turky. I bought it from Willis Family Orchard in GA by mail. The trees arrived to me very healthy and they have all the varieties.â

Here he http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0816343113565.html Said.
    Fri, Aug 6, 2010 âI bought from this company and I have no problem. â¦â¦â¦..As for Willis I am very comfortable with them even if they don't produce all their stuff So what big deal.
    Abeâ

Here he http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0800255411002.html said
    Sat, Aug 21, 2010 âMy young Fig trees which I planted in a very sunny location seems to hate the sun. When it is sunny and hot in the early afternoon the leaves curl down and up. After the sun goes away they come back normal. I have one shade I put it on one tree and it was happy. Is the leave curling a natural defense against the sun. I could transplant them in a shaded area or put shade on them if necessary. I thought Figs are semitropical and love the sun. Any suggestionâ

Sat, Aug 21, 2010 âThese young trees were shipped to me bare feet and I transplanted them about 3 weeks ago. I think the root still in shock. I made the mistake of planting them in the sun immediately. A lesson I learned. I should planted them in pots in half shaded area then put them later in full sun. I have one tree which I potted in shaded area is doing very well.â

Here he http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg100816391595.html said
    The name of this thread is⦠âBLACKJACK RIPENING VERY SMALLâ
    Wed, Oct 27, 2010 âI pulled one which was dark red. I ate it it was good small but good. I guess the tree needs fertilizer for the Figs to large but I don't want to fertilize the tree now and deal with growth when the tree is ready to go dormant. That tree produced about 40 delicious Figs during the season although it is a young tree in 8 gallons pot digged in the garden with holes in the lower sides.â

Here he http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg1022573626401.html said
    Thu, Oct 28, 2010 âItalian Fig tree and a Chicago Hardy has lots of green healthy leaves and refuse to go dormant. The other trees Blackjack, Brown Turkey and celeste has its leaves turned yellow and falling down. What should I do with two stubborn trees.â

In this thread he said. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0913170923431.html?110
    Sat, Oct 30, 2010 âThe sizes of the shipped trees are a joke. It does not match what they claim. I bought 4 Figs trees from them two were very little but fortunately started to have leaves. The two big ones Blackjack and Brown Turkey were dead on arrival. I planted them and waited for 4 weeks for one leave to show and none showed up. I called them I was told scratch the lower part if it is brown wood it is dead. I did and it was sure brown. They told me cut the roots and mail it to us. I did mail the roots to them by priority mail. It took me three months with phone calls and all I hear "we did not get them" I was mad and told them I am going to GA consumer protection. After that they send me an email with Bill of the two trees with zero balance. I waited and waited and waited for the replacement trees to arrive I just got it yesterday three months after their email.â

Just to summarizeâ¦.
    He ordered dormant bare root trees which arrived and where planted August 6th . He planted the bare root trees in full sun in the heat of August. Later in this thread he post on Oct 30th 2010 and said the big ones âBlackjack and Brown Turkey were dead on arrivalââ¦â¦.âI waited and waited and waited for the replacement trees to arrive I just got it yesterday three months after their email. He threatened them and they sent him more trees for free. What a wonderful thing.

However three days before he received his replacement trees from Willis Orchard. He was picking fruit off a Blackjack that he said he purchased from Willis Orchard and the tree was large enough that he had picked 40 ripe fruit from it by Wed, Oct 27, 2010. This happens to be two days before his replacement tree arrived from Willis Orchard because he said the tree arrived dead and he said he sent it back.

Again and again he stated he only had four trees. From start to finish he said they all came from Willis Orchard. He asked others for help when he had problems with them. And now we are somehow supposed to believe he shipped the dead trees back to Willis Orchard that he was picking fruit from? Trees he said were dead and shipped back?

Sat, Oct 30, 2010 âI was mad and told them I am going to GA consumer protection. After that they send me an email with Bill of the two trees with zero balance. I waited and waited and waited for the replacement trees to arrive I just got it yesterday three months after their email.â
    Trees that he threatened to turn them over to consumer protection over because Willis said they never received them? To put things mildly I would say someone has been far less than truthful. I would say someone was lying and committing slander and fraud. I donât think that someone was Willis Orchard.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

I'm with Rafed. Some people are too arrogant and hard headed to acknowledge when they have wronged someone, much less apologize for it.

It would appear that changing the subject and whining about his incompetence as a carpenter is about all he is capable of.

It's actually pretty pathetic.

• rafed
    13 years ago

I too have ordered from them and said I would reserve my comments about them ( Willis Orchard )till I get the facts.
    That is did I get the variants I ordered and the answer turns out to be NO on some and the others were given away.
    I ordered five or six and played a fair game with them.

To their credit they did send out the shorted one right away and they sent an extra and was told to keep it because it was not worth the postage.

I DID SAY as well to their credit that the trees they sent me were among the healthiest fig trees I have.

What I meant by saying "Breaking The Ice" was maybe foolishpleasure was trying to let "By Gones be By Gones" and move on. But it appears "thisisme" is too upset for now and I can understand that.

Not here to choose sides but we all have our own opinion about something or someone and really,,,,, I respect both of you for this. You both stood up to something you believe in.

Like both of you, I too do not base my decissions on other peoples emotions.

As the saying goes: what's one mans junk is another mans treasure.

Hope you both can come to terms someday and leave this all behind and laugh about it. Laughter is good medicine.

Hope I put my 2 cents in.

Rafed

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I owe nobody no apology Willis Orchard wronged me and caused me severe pain and wasted time You like them that is your business I just don't care. As far as I am concerned they don't exist For the other posters who accuse without knowing the facts it is a complete ignorance.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

rafed I would not buy figs from Willis because they don't grow their own.

THIS IS NOT JUST AN OPINION. If you read my last post you would see plainly in foolishpleasures own words. He LIED, he EXTORTED, he committed FRAUD and SLANDER.

My defense for saying this are his own words with the links to prove it. How you can respect someone like that is beyond me.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

I guess if your "facts" hadn't changed over the course of your many posts...as evidenced by what was exerpted (above), and I guess if you hadn't accused a long time contributer her of being "affiliated" with Willis in some way simply because he disagreed with your changing facts...I could have stood with you.

As for "breaking the ice" rafed...where I come from that would be called dodging the issue.

Opinion is opinion, facts are facts, and when you slander someone, you man up and apologize. Some know the difference...some don't know the difference...and others don't care about the difference.

• rafed
    13 years ago

wabikeguy,
    I tried to explain to you after the last post that I finally clicked on what you were saying but this forum doesn't allow us to return right away to at least try and correct our selves. This is something the webmaster needs to work on so there won't be as many misunderstandings.

But keep in mind that this is not my fight. I'm simply trying to get two people on good terms once again.

Where I come from breaking the ice is and could be a good start for an apology. Don't know about dodging anything.
    I think he added the carpenter part as humor.

Once again thisisme,
    I will not take sides in this matter. Just want peace in this forum. I did read what you posted on what came from him and I still respect this person as much as I respect you. We are all here to try to learn from one another. Sometimes there will be disagreement, Big disagreements!

Time to put an end to this and move on.

Rafed

• thisisme
    13 years ago

rafed I don't hate him or even really dislike him. I just read his posts and saw that he is a rather unsavory character. As a rule I don't associate with people like him as I am not the criminal type. I spoke my peace. If he is willing to leave it like this so am I. I just wanted the truth to be told. Plain to be seen from his own posts. Willis never got the trees he claimed to have shipped because he never sent them. He is the worst nightmare of every eBay seller and business person. Seeing the kind of person he is I sure hope he never buys anything from me.

• h20polo
    13 years ago

I have enjoyed reading all of these posts. I was going to buy about 25 fruit trees from Willis (starting a home Orchard), and was going to go right ahead until I saw the negative comments on Dave's Garden site. That got me to searching around more and I found this thread. It really seems to me that there may be someone from TYTY that really has it out for this company. I could be wrong but that is the way it feels. Who holds a grudge so long that they waste their time posting negative things all over the place?
    I have a question for those who are much more expirienced then I am. I live about 7 hours from Willis Orchards. I am considering driving down to actually pick up my trees. The cost of shipping would be about $375 and the cost to drive would only be about $175 in gas and I have the time, plus less where and tear on the trees hopefully. I plan on ordering mainly 6'-8' trees so I can see some fruit in the summer of 2011. (My 6 kids and I are not patient people - results now!) Would you suggest trying to get these trees in some sort of Pot??? Not even sure if that is possible for an 8' tree, but from what I have read it may be better for the tree. Let me know what you think. Any other suggestions would be appreciated also!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

h20polo not all of the negative feedbacks for Willis are fake. There are some legitimate ones even in this thread. A lot of nurseries only ship in the Fall planting season or Fall and early Spring. These are the two best times to plant. Willis ships all year long if they still have trees in stock. Planting a bare root tree in the summer months will greatly increase the chance your trees will fail.

Living in the desert now is when I want to plant. If you can drive there I would say go for it. That way you get to pick out the best trees out of all the trees they have. Stay away from their figs though as they don't grow their own. Mislabeled fig varieties is all to common in the nursery business and they suffer from it too. There are very few nurseries I would recommend for people looking for figs.

Growing in pots is a lot less forgiving than planting in the ground. Miss a watering or two in summer and you could have dead trees. Even in big pots you have to pull the tree and root prune and re-pot every 3-5 years. If you can plant in the ground thats what i would do. If you can't and need to plant in pots the soil mix you use will be vary important and can mean the difference between success or failure.

Be sure to visit the Fruit and Orchard Forum. Ask about spray schedule for pests and disease. There are people there from your neck of the woods who will be able to help you and there will be things to be done while the trees are dormant and when they come out of dormancy.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

And another thing h20polo. How do youplan to transport them? I bought several citrus and some other trees in Phoenix last year and transported them back home in the bed of my pick up. The drive was about 200 miles, and took a little over three hours. Most of the trees were severly defoilated by the time I got home. They all survived...but that long drive in an open pick up really set them back.

If you have a van or a shell on your pick up I would say go for it. Otherwise...maybe not.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Great thinking wabikeguy. I was not even thinking about that but he did say he would be driving 375 miles.

h20polo buying trees you can see is way better than buying online because you can pick the best ones. Even so Willis is 375 miles away from you. Isn't there a nursery that sells large fruit trees nearer to you? I realize most online nurseries won't be shipping until late December to early January or later. But local nurseries may have some larger trees in stock. Willis is after all an online nursery and the prices they charge for any of their larger trees is a lot higher than you would pay at a local nursery.

If you do buy a bunch of trees from them I would ask for a big discount. I would not be ashamed about asking for it either. This year I ordered twelve tree in three orders so I ask for a free tree. They said sure and they gave me a 6-7' branched Transcendent Crab Apple tree.

• h20polo
    13 years ago

Great help guys....Yes I am still looking for a local vendor but I can not seem to find one that sells fruit trees (Nashville, TN). Remember the 6 kids comment....Yes I have a 12 seat extended van that all the seats come out! I am not sure that seeing the trees first will help all that much. I am not sure that I will know what I am looking for as far as a healthy tree. I figure most will probably be dormant at this point in the year.

I will also definately check out the Fruit and Orchard Forum. Maybe I should talk to the local co-operative to see if they can recommend a local nursery.

Thisisme-I was not talking about planting the trees in pots here (I would have no idea how to do that anyways) I guess I was wondering if orchards could leave on the root ball when they dig out the tree somehow.Then I was thinking I could plant the tree root ball and all. Not sure if that is possible.

PS. Once I get the trees I may not tell anyone how many survived....I have a strong feeling that with my lack of knowledge in this field I may kill off 75% in the first year no matter where I get them from! That is one of the reasons I am buying so many...buy 25 and at least 6 or 7 have to make it!!!!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

h20polo you should not buy any trees until you have studied up. How you plant your trees and where you plant your trees and how much and how often you water them is as important or even more important than when you plant them. If you do this right and plant within the next couple of months you should have a 100% or near 100% success rate.

You have time. Do it once, do it right.

• rafed
    13 years ago

wabikeguy,thisisme and h20polo,

You guys just reminded me.
    Earlier this year I stopped at Fanicks nursery in San Antonio, Tx.
    I called in advance and asked if there was room for my semi truck first before I attemp the drive and was told yes.
    Turns out the street was a residential but too late I'm there now.
    So here's where the fun starts, I picked out two Jujube trees and each well over six or seven feet tall.
    Here I am in San Antonio but live in Sterling Heights, Mi.and won't be going home for another week or two. LOL

Luck my truck is a Condo, Double bunk and you can stand up and do jumping jacks with little effort. At that time I had the passanger seat removed so they rode with me from state to state for a couple weeks. And yes, they are doing very well and can't wait for them to fruit in a year or two.

My point is you can work with what you have. I'm sure you are not the only customer they have that will take such a long drive. I remember a few years back I purchased a couple trees from a local nursery and all I had was a mid-sized sedan. The nursery covered the tree canopies with plastic and threw them in the trunk with the conopies sticking out and by the time I got home all was safe.

Just remember,
    Where there's a will there's a way.

Good luck,

Rafed

• thisisme
    13 years ago

rafed I loved that story.

thisisme grinning ear to ear.lol

I totally understand though. If you don't want to start out with a small tree in the variety you want ones options can be fairly limited. Come January I may be renting a truck and driving to a nursery 2 1/2hrs from here. I totally get it.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

H2Opolo,

Bare root fruit trees survive rather well, you probably won't kill as many of them as you think. I've had problems with potted trees and think that the dormant bare roots are by far the better bet.

Fruit trees here are not dormant yet, so it is probably too early to drive for trees. You don't want trees dug last spring and held in cold storage all year.

You'll want to keep roots damp. It's enough to wrap them in wet newspaper and place them inside a plastic trash bag. Plant them when you get home; don't expect them to last long in a trash bag.

Healthy bare roots have flexible branches and the bark looks hydrated, often with a greenish undertone. If branches are crispy, give the plant a pass (except grapes that really seriously look dead when they are dormant)

I suggest that you go over to the fruit forum and ask about places to purchase plants in your area. There will be someone from your general area who can recommend a good place closer to you.

My son did a drive for blueberry plants, 120 miles each way. He came home with several dozen blueberries and a 10 ft tall potted walnut tree that he fell in love with when he saw it.

He was driving a Chevy Blazer and the pot went into the back and the tree filled the inside of the vehicle. He was peering around walnut leaves to drive.

• h20polo
    13 years ago

oregonwoodsmoke - thanks for the good advice. I am a sponge right now trying to soak up as much good info as I can!

Don't worry thisisme....I am still researching and I still have to put up the 150' X 150' fence to keep out the deer and small varment! I am putting a 24" rabbit fence and then an electric fence up to 6' high. So I do still have at least two more weeks before the area is even ready! I don't really plan on killing off that many trees either!

I will also be purchasing a 25 gallon trailer sparyer so that I will be able to not only water but also spray the trees on a reasonable schedule. I did not realize that the trees needed to be sprayed and fertilized prior to the spring though....lots still to learn!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

h20polo dormant season spraying is important for many types of fruit trees both for disease and insects in your zone. Not so much here in the desert though. The information you need is in the Fruit and Orchard forum. There are a lot of true experts over there that are more than willing to help.

• mjj567_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Willis Orchard is a horrible company! They are crooks!! I ordered 10 raspberry plants which arrived DEAD. I contacted customer service (what a JOKE!) and they refused to refund my money. Now I am out $87.00!!!
    This company has low quality products and horrible customer service. The Better Business Bureau has a complaint!

• wabikeguy
    12 years ago

The BBB has no teeth. All they can do is file your complaint and make an inquery. You can file a complaint with the Georgia Attorney General's Office. They have a website. You can google it and, as I recall, file your complaint on line.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

MARCIA you are about the 100th person who became a member here or in your case did not become a member here who does nothing but trash Willis. Personally I would not recommend buying figs from them. They buy them dormant from a suppler. Many of the fig trees sold by other nurseries are purchased and resold the same way. The result is many mislabeled trees. Why you are posting about raspberry plants in the Fig Forum is beyond me. If you really are a customer of Willis's then keep those raspberry plants. If they don't leaf out or are not true to name they will refund your money. No nursery or nearly no nursery is going to grant a refund of a dormant product the day it arrives. That does not mean they have bad customer service. If they don't leaf out you will be asked to send back a small part of each plant that has both root and cane. A small Priority Mail box should be more than large enough.

• chgard
    12 years ago

This company is not trustful. I returned a dead tree root for replacement according to their policy. I called them two weeks after I mailed it out and I was told they did receive the dead tree root and would send out the replacement soon. However, I haven't got anything one and half months after. Then I called them again and again, and I was told they didn't receive the dead tree root which I returned. The guy asked me to show them the receipt from post office, this is really ridiculous because I just put the envelope in the mailbox and no way to get the receipt from the postman when he picked up the mails. So this is only an excuse that they don't want to give me replacement or refund.
    Be careful with this company, don't buy anything from it. My experience with it is lots of wasted money, but even worse, lots of wasted time. This company has lots negative reviews on website. It was so bad for me that I haven't read the reviews when I purchased trees from this company.

• thunt_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

These guys are scumbags. They shipped me product that wasn't the size they claimed it would be. Terrible customer service all around. I asked if fruit would come from the plants ordered the first year and they said yes. They lied. Also, the prices are not as good as you think because like I said when the stuff arrives its small junk. Almost everything I ordered is now dead because the root systems on them sucked. Only 4 plants survived out of the 14 ordered. Also, we run a large farm with a annual flower plant business so we are not noobs.

• jaybo97
    12 years ago

I bought a banana tree from tyty, and I called with a couple of questions about it after it was growing for a season in my yard. The person who answered just hung the phone up on me rather than talk to me about the plant.
    Then I tried to call back and they wouldn't answer the phone from my number anymore.

What horrible people! I wish I would have read posts on this forum before buying from them. :/

• LizzaNVA
    12 years ago

Glad I read this string...not that I would have bought from Ty Ty because the cheesy photos turned me off. A legit grower would focus on the plants. Glad to hear some of the employees got out. Willis' website is far more classy and informative--and they seem to care about quality. That's a good start.

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    12 years ago

YAY - ordering from Willis!!!

• PlantTree
    12 years ago

This company is the worst. Willis Orchard sent me a tree that never grew a single leaf. During the first year they told me to be patient, that some trees won't grow leaves the first year. The second year, still no leaves, so I call and they have the nerve to tell me tha trees are only garunteed for one year. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

• thisisme
    11 years ago

lol!!!

• lizelle
    11 years ago

I seriously thought about placing an order with Willis... then I did my homework. I find it interesting that this thread is 5 years old & the two/three companies are still up & running?
    I swore off TYTY without having to do any homework whatsoever. I wouldn't give my business to anyone who thinks it's amusing to pour a bucket of water over an unsuspecting dog in one one of their videos. Yes, I know it won't kill the poor dog but.... it rubbed me up the wrong way BIG TIME.

• jackhva
    11 years ago

Lets keep this forum about the care and propagation of figs, spare us the online forum marketing and hype about the three GA nurseries. Aside from years of complaints one can see on this forum or a simple google search, check the better business bureau and the state attorney before placing orders.

• smithnenursery
    8 years ago

I have a nursery in TyTy. Smith Nursery and Noal& Essies nursery I just started selling online after 28 years having people come to TyTy nursery and found me. check out my reviews at face book and now our new online store.thank you. https://www.facebook.com/NoalEssiesNursery and www.noalessiesnursery.com

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths