Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig Culture...who has it?

Posted by the_virginian Zone 7 NoVA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 13:28

We all know that figs were the first cultivated plant by humans and that they originated in the Middle East and spread to other areas of the World. The groups of folks that I have encounted that "know" figs are; Italians, Greeks, Syrians-anyone from the Mediterranean or Middle East, American Southerners, Southwestern and Californians, Latin Americans and French from the South of France. Did I leave anyone out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig Culture...who has it?

China and Japan. Ficus carica arrives in Africa up to Sudan. In the Asia > Caucasus. Afghanistan has F. afghanistanica supposed to be variety of carica.
Next winter I'll send cuttings in Malaysia.

o

I did not know that figs were popular in the Far East. What types of figs do they typically grow?

o
Australia and New Zealand?

Are figs commonly grown there too? I know that in London in the 1500s King Henry VII had them grown at Hampton Court in proteced areas along walls. Britain didn't strike me as fig country, but maybe they are grown there on a limited basis.

o

Good fig varieties are grown in iraq, Iran, Pakistan and part of India as well as central asia but al are on relatively small scale compared to Turkey and other mediterranean countries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here