Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Where can I find a Ronde de bordeaux fig tree?

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

This summer I really started a nice fig collection. I initially only wanted a Violette de bordeaux, but I was given Italian Beefera, Tena, Broad Leaf Black Jack, and Atreana. I was also given cuttings of Hardy Chicago(which I rooted 1 of) and Celeste. I haven't rooted any celeste yet but I will be here soon.

I really would like a Ronde de bordeaux but it seems like it will be hard to find. Trees of Joy has one on Ebay but it's over $100 and is quite small.

Can anyone suggest a seller who has them for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments (22)

• nypd5229
    12 years ago

Unless you find someone willing to trade, $100 is about the going rate.

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

What makes it so special? I am new at this and read from a poster in Zone 7b in NC that it is his wife's favorite.

Can it be rooted from cuttings?

I can't imagine coming up with $100 for a quite small fig on my income.

I'm in Zone 7 maybe 7a (not sure) in Central Va. The only fig I have is a Brown Turkey that is several years old and is finally producing enough good tasting figs to use some to bake with and still have some to eat straight off the tree. The fruit is on the small side.

I would like to find a fig tree, that is more affordable and produces larger, but tasty fruit.

I would really appreciate any information I can get.

Betty

P.S. One more question- What is a breba? Thanks

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HEy nypd,
    WOW! I didn't realize they were so expensive! I did find a seller in PA that I am hoping will have it for much cheaper. I am also going to ask someone that I know who is growing one now. She is going to prune hers so hopefullyI can get one from her for much cheaper.

So why is this variety so expensive? IS it hard to propagate? Is it more rare? I have heard nothing but raves regarding the fruits. I also heard that Violette de bordeaux is pretty close in flavor and I have the Violette. I am just getting into figs. This is only the 2nd time I have tried growing them.

My first experience didn't go very well but now I am realizing it may not have been my fault. This year I was VERY fortunate to meet a fellow member of this forum. She live about 40 minutes from me and she has TONS of diffrent varieties and she has so generously shared with me.

Today I was thrilled to find a fig growing on my atreano tree. I am hoping that by keeping it under my 600 watt HPS light over thef all/winter, I can get this fruit to ripen!

Hi Betty,
    From what I have heard, the flavor of the Ronde de Bordeaux is exquisite. I have never tried it personally but I have heard this from more than one person. It can be rooted from cuttings. I have a friend in PA that has one and she has rooted cuttings from her tree. I have seen though that this variety fetches some pretty high $$.

Due to my lack of experience, I cannot tell you what varieties are worth growing and would fit your needs. Right now I have 7 diffrent trees but only my Atreano is fruiting and because it's so late in the season, I don't know if I will be able to taste it or not. This variey is supposed to bear large fruits. I think I read tennis ball sized! It's suppose to have a great flavor and it's a vigorous tree. I can attest to that as I have only had mine for little over a month and it's growing like crazy! I have all ready pinched off the 5th leaves on some of the new growth, and I think that's why I got the fig I have.

As for the breba figs, there an earlier smaller crop that comes before the main crop. I have heard diffrent opinions on the breba crop. Some people like them and let them grow and ripen, while some will remove them so they can concentrate the tree's energy into producing a larger and sometimes earlier main crop.

Please remember though that I am just a beginner and I may not have all my info right.

Good luck on whatever variety you end up with!

Andrew

• nypd5229
    12 years ago

You hit on all the points.

Being a variety from France, private sellers are the only ones that carry it. I have yet to see a nursery in the U.S. sell it. The market on ebay drives it up.

I have not tasted the fruits but I have heard raves about it. Collectors I know say that both VdB and RdB are excellent but distinct varieties.

• rafed
    12 years ago

There is one on Ebay now as we speak.
    Ed is a good forum member.

The price is low as of yet but you all know this will change soon.

Put what you think you can afford and go from there.

Never know

• david126
    12 years ago

I BELIEVE IT IS WRONG TO PAY $100 FOR A FIG CUTTING. COMMON SENSE SHOULD TELL YOU THAT IF THE FIG HAS SUCH EXQUISITE, FABULOUS, AMAZING,SUPERB, ETC, ETC. CHARACTERISTICS, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN EXTENSIVELY PROPAGATED AND DISTRIBUTED THROUGHOUT THE CENTURIES AND WOULD BE READILY AVAILABLE. I USED TO BE ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT FINDING THE BEST FIG VARIETIES. MANY FIGS ARE NICELY FLAVORED. THE FIG THAT I HAVE THE MOST AFFECTION FOR IS THE ONE THAT I GOT WITH MY GRANDMOTHER, OF BLESSED MEMORY, WHEN I WAS A CHILD. IT MUST HAVE BEEN AROUND 1980 (I AM 41 NOW AND HAD AN INTEREST IN FIG TREES EVEN BACK THEN). THE YOUNG TREE COST $1 AND IT IS THE BEST FIG I HAVE TRIED. MORE MONEY DOES NOT MEAN BETTER PRODUCT. I URGE ALL FORUM MEMBERS NOT TO PAY HIGH PRICES FOR FIG CUTTINGS. LET'S KEEP THIS AS A WHOLESOME HOBBY. MONEY SHOULD BE MADE IN A DIFFERENT FORUM, PUN INTENDED.
    DAVID

• hemlady
    12 years ago

Please don't shout.

• nypd5229
    12 years ago

Well some people believe it is worth it. Collecting figs is to some people, what stamps and coins are to others.

Figs are a wholesome hobby. It relaxes me and makes me feel good. If I pay more for others than some, so be it.

If some one wants to pay alot for something its their business. They can also turn away and not buy. I did that on the Jolly Tiger.

RdB is a worthwhile cultivar for its productivity, early breba, supposed cold hardiness and flavor. It is a prized collector's item.

• rafed
    12 years ago

divid126,

I totally understand what you are saying.
    But I have to disagree with your call. Not trying to knock on you but we as humans all have our own indevidual way of thinking and doing things.

It is a hobby, Yes. But like myself, I have paid a $100 for a fig tree and another $75 for another fig tree. So on so forth. Do I regret it? Not at all.

It's like asking the guy stopped at the red light next to you why is he driving a $200K car when he can get one for less than $20K?

Or why do these people have to live in a $500K home when they can simply in a $150K home?

I can go on all night my friend but it all boils down to having fun with this hobby and doing what you can afford to do.

And for those who say they can't afford this or that. There is no shame my friends.
    In this forum, we are all equal.

I have well over 125 variants. Some cost me money and some were free. But over all I have dished out quite a few bucks.

Good luck,
    Rafed

• iammarcus
    12 years ago

Does this fig go by any other names? Brown Turkey is sometimes called Fleur de Rouge.
    Dan

• nypd5229
    12 years ago

Sometimes gets confused with Rouge de Bordeaux. But they are 2 different varieties.

Very different cultivar than Brown Turkey.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rafed,
    You hit the nail on the head there. I do believe that the Ronde is worth every penny and hopefully some day I can afford it. The day that I do get it will make all the wait well worth it!

I myself collect all kinds of cool tropical fruits. I personally paid $125 for a very rare and awesome tasting mango variety that I got in Hawaii.

I want everyone hear to know that I am NOT trying to be cheap or trying to get something for nothing. I know that eventually I will get my hands on the Ronde. I do know someone who may be able to sell me some cuttings when she cuts hers back but she did say that she could only knock off a few dollars so we will have to see.

Andrew

• ejp3
    12 years ago

Andrew, get back to me in December for some cutting trades. I have this one.

• rafed
    12 years ago

Andrew,

I do have two of them.
    One I paid for and the other was given to me by a very well known member at no charge.

Too bad they are still another year from cutting.
    Wish I can help you.

But Ed is a great person and take him up on his offer later on in the Fall.

If not, get back with me next year.

Good luck,
    Rafed

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rafed I will take Ed up on this! I just have to remember to contact him.

Hi Ed. I really would appreciate it. I just checked Ebay and TreesofJoy has one but the winning bid was almost $160! WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE!! Most of my figs are still pretty small but I would part with one even if it was the only one of that variety I have!

ANdrew

• iammarcus
    12 years ago

ejp3 what figs are you looking for?
    Dan

• ejp3
    12 years ago

Dan, send me an e-mail through this forum.

• brunsfig
    12 years ago

You could order one from France (www.fig-baud.com) or Germany (www.almenpalmen.de). Shipping is probably expensive, but one tree costs only 15 Euros. Unfortunately the sites are in French/German, but I guess they understand some English. If you find others to order with you you could split the costs for shipping.

the brunsfig

• david126
    12 years ago

Thanks Brunsfig. Two very interesting sites.

• Geoff S
    12 years ago

Andrew,how's the mango working out in you zone? I grew up with mango trees and would like to know how they do in our zone. Can we email?
    Thanks, Geoff

• winsorw
    9 years ago

Hello,
    Does this fig produce well in short summer months? Any member in the US would like to sell some cuttings/plants at a reasonable price? Thanks.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner