Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coralb_gw

Violette de Bordeaux in Charlotte, NC?

coralb
12 years ago

Hi all,

I am getting ready to add my first fig tree and wanted to check in with those who have more experience about my choices. I live in Charlotte, NC, which is zone 8 according to the Arbor day foundation and zone 7 according to the USDA (but right on the border w/ 8). I will be planting it in the ground in the backyard. It will not be up against a building or fence.

I would like a Violette de Bordeaux. It seems a lot of people rave about the taste and I want a tasty one. A few friends have offered me cutttings of their figs but to be honest their figs do not have much flavor (no idea what type of figs they are). I have also read in a few places that VdB stays a little smaller. Is this incorrect? Are there any indications that VdB will not do well here?

I was planning on planting in spring. I usually plant trees in late fall but I read that young figs can be damaged by the cold. Am I correct about waiting until spring?

Finally, I was planning on purchasing from Edible Landscaping in VA since it is the closest nursery on the internet that I could find that did not have bad ratings. Does anyone have any other recommendation regarding nurseries or warnings to stay away from this one?

Thanks so much for your time!

Comments (4)

• terowan
    12 years ago

I have Negronne (aka Violette de Bordeaux at Edible Landscaping). That's where I got mine. I live in zone 8a in Newport, NC. It does fine here and is superior in taste to the dozen or so varieties I've had. Productive too.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    12 years ago

Coralb, I live in Charlotte too. I have several VbD fig trees so yes, they do well here.
    Dennis

• nothwehr
    12 years ago

Terowan, since you have several varieties in addition to VdB can you address the question about relative size of VdB compared to other varieties? Does a VdB tree really stay a bit smaller than other figs? Thanks.

• terowan
    12 years ago

I think I need to defer to Dennis or others who actually have VdB. I believe I have Negronne which apparently, has minor differences. In any case my Negronne actually seems to grow taller shoots than my other figs and the fruit is a bit smaller typically than White Marseilles, Celest or Hardy Chicago in my yard. That is so far... They are all in their 3rd growing year in the ground and were frozen down to the ground last winter. They need to have a few more years for me to really be sure.