Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstall_gw

Sal Corleone going in four hours

jstall
13 years ago

There is a Sal Corleone from a well known forum member and trusted seller going in four hours on e-bay. It only has a 15.00 bid. I hope it was Ok to post this.

Comments (17)

• noss
    13 years ago

Is this a real Sal's Corleone? Is there only one kind of Sal's Corleone, or is it like so many others and there are several different kinds?

Thanks,

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

lol!!! That little thing is $ 91.00 now. I like figs a lot and would like to have a Sal's Corleone but thats a lot of money for a 12" plant.

At least its going to go to someone who really wants it.

• italiangirl74
    13 years ago

I don't find 91.00 alot of money for a small Sal's Corleone at all, I have seen many small even smaller figs being sold on ebay for a heck of alot more money than that, The price of something is a very personnal thing and I would gladly pay that amount of money for a fig tree as long as I knew it was true to variety, I'm not rich, but if it is something I really want, why not, you only live once, enjoy it. Keep watching the figs on ebay, you will see many many being sold for that price and many times more,especially when buying from well respected sellers.Size doesn't matter either, as we all know how quickly a fig tree can grow in a season. I wish them all luck, the sellers and the buyers.
    See ya!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

italiangirl174 I don't begrudge the price. Its an auction and who ever wants it the most is going to get it. I paid $ 58.00 for a tiny little Zumwalt fig three years ago. Its grown a lot,,,,,and never fruited. The word on Sal's is that its cold hardy. I don't need cold hardy figs so its not worth it to me. The figs I want and which I am willing to pay for are ones that produce three crops in Arizona's extended growing season. Different climates and different incomes produce different priorities. I have been very happy with my VDB and it was free.

• noss
    13 years ago

Oh WOW!!! I'll bet we know one, happy young man for the price he got for that fig tree!

noss

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

I still think the record from what I remember is $140 for a Col De Dame Grise and Black.

Then $120 for a Vasilika Sika.

Im glad who ever sold this got this much. I have put in approx 2K into my figs this year. I think many for get that this figgin' hobby is not free.

• jstall
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the Sal I was referring to sold for 40 something dollars. I was hoping the fine, upstanding young man selling it would do better than 40 something bucks but that is the way an aution goes. Someone got a real bargain.

• rafed
    13 years ago

My Sals "C" cost quite a few buck$.
    But it came from a well trusted seller and I'm satisfied.

On the downside though, Was told that the only ripe fig on the tree was stolen by one of my pet squirrels.

Time to pump some lead in'em.

Rafed

• italiangirl74
    13 years ago

Jose, yes, it takes alot of money and TIME and room and its not cheap, when they are properly taken care of. you are soo right.

JOe, I agree, I think the young man,he deserves so much, I find what the young man is doing is very admirable, his trees are beautiful!!! Good job to him. I would be soo ticked rafed if I lost my only corleone to squirrell, what little devils and they do it sooooo fast!!!! Ciao

• noss
    13 years ago

If we're talking record prices of figs on eBay, I ran a Malta Black fig tree up to $153 and lost it at the last seconds.

I REALLY wanted that Malta Black. It was a nice plant! :(

noss

• ottawan_z5a
    13 years ago

Let us be realistic. Life goes through cycles and episodes and not according to people choices. A price that is not too much at all at one time becomes too much at another time in life (& vice versa). So, it is all relative. So be grateful if you have the means to try to outbid in an auction while the others can be grateful for the patience they have to wait for a better time to acquire their much desired fig.

• noss
    13 years ago

Ottawan,

I like your philosophy. :)

Vivian

• Ann
    13 years ago

I'm a novice compared to most of you, but I don't understand why it is necessary to spend so much $ on these varieties when there are so many people on this forum with so many wonderful varieties, they are so easy to propagate, and see that most people on here are so generous with their trees!

I have a Sal's (from Al in MD) and have rooted quite a few babies (for fun) and gave them away. I have a Celeste which was given to me by someone on this website and someone else gave me about 10 assorted varieties which I unfortunately had to give away because I simply didn't have the space.

Next spring I plan to saw down a few ornamental trees that haven't been performing, and plant more figs. I never questioned how much I'd have to spend to get good varieties!!

I'm not surprised that people also sell them on ebay since there are people apparently willing to pay big bucks for them, but ....aren't most people on Gardenweb willing to share their cuttings?

I read a post the other day (forgot whose post it was) about a stingy man in CA who wouldn't share his special fig variety which he'd imported, and actually destroyed his orchard when he was forced to close it down rather than share. Everyone seemed so disgusted with him...and me too.

Ann

(PS- Anyone who wants Sal cuttings, email me!)

• italiangirl74
    13 years ago

Ciao Ann,
    I understand your thoughts in above post. Many of the people on ebay ect who are selling these figs trees for high prices are FORUM members!! :) That is part of auction, it starts out low then ends up high!Some of the members have their own nursery business' and sell from there or on ebay. Alot of the members on the forums are very generous and we share or trade back and forth with each other, then there are others who charge, nothing wrong with that as it costs money,takes time and room to maintain, root and share these figs with other people. I can only speak for myself, but I have made a few very very good friends here on the forums and would never dream to sell (charge) anything to these close members. Others maybe not as close. We forge friendships and bonds and we share with each other. PErsonally, I would easily pay a large price for a fig tree that I really wanted.Especially if it was reputable and someone I know they wouldn't cheat me or lie. Also, remember, Sal's Corleone and Sal's are different figs, they are not to be tied together as one tree!!! I share my figs with others here and others who are not members of these forums for many reasons. I do charge others and strangers as face it, some of us do have business' and thats a part of business! and alot of people want everything for free, but don't want to part with anything! People that I have forge relationships with who have been more than generous will never have to pay for a fig tree from me. If I have it, they can have it!
    Ciao and nice to see you and your very kind giving heart.
    Ciao

• Ann
    13 years ago

Hello,

Yes, I suspected Sal is different from Sal Corleone's. I certainly understand people who do this for money, I really do! I just come to Gardenweb for friendship and figs.

Can anyone tell me if my Sal's (from Al, from Gene) is EL or Belleclare? I love it, but of course I don't have much to compare it to!

Thanks,

Ann

• tandrew31
    13 years ago

I am confused about Sals from Belleclare and Sals Corleone
    from same nursery.Could somebody tell me what the major
    differences are such as fruit description,hardiness,growth
    or other information as I cannot find much on the subject.
    Thanks
    TOM

• ejp3
    13 years ago

I will speak of these 2 figs in my zone 7 climate. It has been my experience that sals of c from belleclare is slightly larger than the other sals. S of c has a more open eye. Sals is slightly more cold hardy than corleone. Also sals has been extremely productive for me, in the ground and potted. Sals is probably my most productive plant. Even most of the cuttings I rooted this past year have had figs on them already.