Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Oldest fig in Alpine TX: freeze damage and recovery

Thought someone might be interested in seeing the oldest fig in Alpine TX, Z7. It must be 30-40 years old and quite large. We dropped to about 3F last winter and the damage was severe.

My figs including Celeste and Brown Turkey have frozen to the ground every winter.

Comments (8)

• madelaine
    12 years ago

there's a lot of dead wood there!

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tree is on the grounds of Sul Ross State University. Had it been an individual the old shoots might have been cut back when the damage was evident in spring. I then would have selected the strongest shoots to replace the approximately 20 shoots that were the basic framework of the tree.

I'm going to increase the age estimate to 40-50 years. This is a huge bush. The base is at least 12 feet across and the crown about 25-30 feet.

How old do you think it is?

• rafed
    12 years ago

Looking at the new leaves on top of the canopy I have the strangest feeling this tree will/should bounce back.
    Not saying to 100%, but it should be much better than now.
    I sure hope so. It would be a shame if it didn't.

Rafed

Original Author
    12 years ago

Rafed:

I'd take out the old top and select the best of the new shoots from down low. I'd leave about as many new shoots as there are old shoots now. In 3-4 years the tree would look about like it did before the freeze.

• rafed
    12 years ago

Fruitnut,
    Question, Are you from the area? Assuming the tree is 40 to 50 years old. Do you know how often this area experiences such low temps?

Just wondering. 4500ft elevation is quite high too.

Your idea is good but I would wait another season just to see.

Can you keep us updated?

Thanks,
    Rafed

Original Author
    12 years ago

Ya, the tree is just down the road. We have been colder since I've been here but this cold spell lasted 4 nights in a row. The all time low where this tree is would be near zero.

We are warmer than areas back east that grow better figs, say the middle Atlantic region. But our winters are up and down in temperature. Very few good figs grown in this town and we are way south of Dallas, more in line with Houston.

• rafed
    12 years ago

fruitnut,

I have a few roses and was told long ago not to prune them in the fall because their will be some die back on the canes regardless. So I started to prun them in the Spring, and only the die back. Works well all the time.

My guess is the die back on this tree is at the top and near the tips. Time will eventually tell. But I still remain optimistic that it will make a full recovery. Just given the fact of its' approx. age and elevation/location.

Anymore info on this tree?
    Is it your typical Brown Turkey or something else special?

Thanks,
    Rafed

Original Author
    12 years ago

The fruit is smaller than the Brown Turkey I had. There is some ripe fruit right now but it's not very good. Nothing I've had any interest in rooting.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz