Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpeters2_gw

1st year Chicago Hardy Figs- will they ripen?

bpeters2
11 years ago

I planted a Chicago hardy this summer. The plant did really well and started setting fruit(about 20 figs total) about a week ago. Right now the fruit are about the size of marbles but seem to be growing quickly. Is there any chance that these will ripen? If not, would it be best to pick them all off now so the plant can concentrate on vegetative growth and over-wintering? Thanks

Comments (7)

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

bpeters2

Sorry...but if you are not growing this young tree in a greenhouse, you will probably not see any ripe figs this year. Figs take between 75-80 to go from tiny figlets, to fully ripe, and in your Zone-5b climate, I think you are done for this season.

Young trees are usually late to set a main-crop of figs. Pull off all the figs and let the tree develop good roots, and harden off all this years green wood. Next year might be a different story. Search the forum for pinching methods so that your crop of figs will ripen sooner in your short season.

As your tree puts on some age, and settles in, it will produce figs earlier in the season, and then you will be very happy, chowing-down on your "Hardy Chicago", delicious figs! Two, three years, and you'll be in business.

Enjoy the growing experiences. Figs will reward you...eventually.

Frank

• ninovarga
    11 years ago

bpeters2

What does Chicago Hardy's hardiness mean in winter absolute minimum minus degrees?

• figsrfun
    11 years ago

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about the Chicago hardy. I purchased what arrived as a sickly looking stick of a tree this spring from EL. The thing wasn't more than a foot tall and about the diameter of a pencil. The first leaves in spring presented with what I felt like was FMV and I emailed the company asking for a replacement. They said be patient and see what happens. I planted the twig in a prepared box bed, one that had seen generous amounts of organic matter. I put cardboard around the base and added a generous layer of wood chips as mulch to prevent weeds. After a summer of record breaking heat and drought the tree is now almost 7 feet tall with multiple trunks and has produced dozens of ripe delicious figs. It continues to produce small figs on new growth. No evidence of FMV. So much for having to wait years for figs or having to pinch off small figs to allow a cutting to grow for a period of time. I've decided that growing these things is like real estate.... Success depends on location, location, location.

• bobp299
    11 years ago

bpeters2

I also have planted a Chicago Hardy (in May)and I'm below you in Zone 6B (Northern Delaware) and have the same results. I agree with Frank eliminate the figs and let the tree develop. Hopefully, you will get ripe ones in the next year or two.

If in the ground dont forget to protect it this winter.

Be patient and Good luck with your Chicago Hardy

Bob

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

ninovarga...

Fig trees evolved in the warm, sunny, and dry climates of the Mid-Eastern countries.

Your "Hardy Chicago" will die if not protected, so do not be fooled by claims of hardiness. It might be hardier than some other varieties, but it could/might still die...but, just slower. Anecdotal stories are great, and sometimes growing the tree in a warmer micro-climate, or a protected spot, will keep this variety alive, but all it will take is one bad Winter and your tree might be gone...killed by the harsh weather That's why most growers take the pains to protect their fig trees. Also, If you live in a warmer climate that has an extended growing season, you might also get figs to ripen with the extra heat, and sun.

I have been growing my trees, since 2007, in large containers, and I store them in a storage shed until mid-March. I have never lost any trees...and I'm in Zone-7b, but I usually get warmer weather. Jan-Feb are the worst months.

Growing in-ground trees, unprotected, in cold climates, is a very chancy thing to do. Nature always trumps Man's efforts. Are you a gambler?

Hope this might help.

Frank

• kerstinstarzer
    6 years ago

Figsrfun, what direction of sun does your fig face? I read it is good to have it up against the house for added winter protection... what zone are you? Your post made me want to race out and buy a fig!!!

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    6 years ago

Uh, all plants are looking in the direction of the sun. Don't think you can change that. Are you referring to what side of a structure you would plant in some zones? If your zone is too cold for figs, I don't think you can prevent the die back if left to overwinter without protection whatever side of a structure you plant. Maybe I am missing something.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor