Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eukofios

Japanese intensive method for growing figs

eukofios
17 years ago

This originally comes from a Hawaiaan site but describes the method used in Japan. The trees are bent over when young, and pruned closely each year. Sort of like an espallier type method. I extracted a couple of photos so that it wouldn't be necessary to go through the whole original site, but the link is there with more photos.

Seemed interesting to share. The Japanese method seems to be in greenhouse or similar shelter, but it could be done outdoors as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intensive Japanese method for growing figs.

Comments (6)

• threejsmom31
    17 years ago

Very neat. I may be able to can some yet :). Just kidding.
    3js

• elder
    17 years ago

While viewing the original site I was dizzied just thinking of the potenial for an operation like that here in the States. After all, we grow tons of tomatos under glass, why not figs.
    Does anyone have info on the Masui Dauphine fig? All I could find out was it is the most important fig in both Japan and China, and appears to be a brown variety. No mention if it needs the wasps, etc.....Elder

• threejsmom31
    17 years ago

I was wondering if the greenhouse was heated or just a large cold frame. I think that this pruning method would also be easier to protect in winter, using insulation or straw and reflective tarp. Hmmm... I can see daffodils coming up between the gnarled branches in the spring and then hostas coming in later with the foliage from the figs.... has anyone trained a fig to grow along the ground? I know many northern growers espalier them or grow against walls to help with warmth in winter. I am still studying all I can about them. Thanks for any information.
    Good health and happy figging to all,
    Threejsmom31 :)

• bjs496
    17 years ago

I think its interesting to note that the most commonly used fert used on these trees is a 10-8-10. This flies in the face of what has been batted around the walls of this forum. Most suggest a high phosphorus to encourage fruit production, however this article suggest that increased root growth (another benefit of Phosphorus) detracts from fruit production.

I don't understand how mulching reduces root production unless whatever they are using as mulch suppresses growth. The two trees I have in the ground seem to grow more roots in the mulch layer than they do in the ground soil.

Any thoughts?
    ~james

• andrea_san_diego
    17 years ago

I'm just thinking of how many extra fig trees that I'll be able to "SQUEEZE" into my backyard using this method.

• elder
    17 years ago

james: according to my sources, and my own experience bears it out, higher phosphorous increases the production of flower buds, fruit, AND roots. The logic of our neighbors to the west escapes me.
    As for mulching to limit roots, you may have answered your own question - roots tend to grow most heavily under a mulched area, and perhaps they are simply interested in limiting the outward distribution of the root system.
    andrea: wishful thinking on my part came up with the following - if you had one acre of ground (43,560 sq ft) and allowed a space for each tree of 18 x 4 (as per the two branch intensive method) I believe you could squeeze in roughly 570 fig trees. If you allowed a twenty foot spacing using regular planting methods the same acre would support only 108 trees. Intensive it is!!!.....Elder (Lou)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm