Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Discolored Leaves on Italian Fig Tree

Posted by ColMon NashuaNew Hampshire (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 18:20

I was away for a couple days, and when I came back noticed this discoloration on my fig tree. It's apparent on a few leaves.. not sure what this could be from. The whole season, the tree has been very healthy and apparently loving the spot it was in. Can someone help me ID this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Discolored Leaves on Italian Fig Tree

Maybe it's a normal sign of the fall ............ Some of my trees leaves are turning yellow and falling off to. In New York

o

Probably a few chilly nights = yellowing leaves. Very short season....Memorial Day to Labor Day, basically, and, we're done.

Frank
Bronx, NYC
Zone-7b

o

ColMon ,
It looks fairly normal for this time of year up here in NH.
A few of my leaves look similar, but most are still normal green.
Nothing to worry about really.

o

OK.. Is it ok to leave it outside still, or should I bring it in asap?

o

ColMon ,
If you want to let it go dormant and store it for the Winter in a place with temps no lower than 25F and no higher than 45F , then leave it out until it gets a couple of light frosts.
Then move it in a garage etc. to protect from more or harder frosts and allow it to finish dropping its' leaves.
Then move it to the spot it will stay for the Winter.
Where you are in NH , you should be able to leave it out at least another month or longer.
Think of what you are doing as ripening the wood for Winter.

o

Also... what are the defining differences in the "Italian Fig" strain? I'm very new to gardening in general.. I happen to really fall in love with this tree.
How big should I expect it to get?

o

Italian fig could be many things depending on where you bought it.
Fig variety ID is sometimes possible if you post pictures of most common leaf shape and a ripe fruit whole and cut in half displayed with a quarter coin to give a sense of scale.
Post both here and at figs4fun forum to get the highest chance of someone knowledgeable being able to ID.
You can prune and shape the tree anyway you like and keep it as small as you want to be able to easily reach the fruit and to store it for Winter if you keep it in a pot.

o

50 days ago a few of my leaves look similar, but most are still normal green.
today may fig tree is very strong
don't worry ����

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here