Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejp3

Black Mission

ejp3
14 years ago

A while ago on this forum someone out west posted that they had a good strain of Black Mission. Something about red leaf stems. I cant seem to be able to find the post. If you are that poster please send me an e-mail at ep2920@aol.com. I have had it with inferior strains, the last one from willis orchards which was the furthest thing from Black Mission. Stay away from them.

Comments (12)

• italiangirl74
    14 years ago

Personally with all this problems with Willis orchards it seems many people have gotten their trees from them and they are not what they claimed they were. I was thinking that if they are intentionally lying and misleading the fig community and making good money off of it, I think that maybe the fig community should do the same. Instead of trashing and destroying so many beautiful and tasty fig trees from them, I think we should make a buck or two as well and start advertising the unknown Willis trees. Maybe start a new family of fig trees and call them, " Willis fake black" or maybe "Willis' mislabled Green" The reason I say this is because I have 2 fig trees from them. They are both different trees, but the thing is I feel bad destroying these trees because its not their fault they got involved with such a nursery that mixes them up easily, but the fruit is delicious. I tell ya, If I do have a peters honey, they are very good tasting figs. If its not a Peters HOney then it will be called something else maybe " Willis' delicious green mixup". Especially if finding out the true variety is not easy or available. People like them should get as much as they dish out and give to everyone else. Does anyone have any pics of Peters Honey who did not get theirs from willis who could post a picture or email me privately with it. I would like to see the Peters Honey especially the dominant leaf if thats possible. I'm not concerned about the Roma nera, it matches the descriptions and the one I got labled Italian everbearing is very similar in fruit and descriptions from Willis. Ciao

• thisisme
    14 years ago

Keep in mind that all Black Mission trees have FMV.

• ejp3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't know that. Why would they all have it?

• dieseler
    14 years ago

From what i have read in past, Black Mission has FMV but does well with it and grows and grows and grows well as a fig plant and figs are very good , this is just what i have read and heard.
    Some just have it similar to Ischia Black as i never heard of a ischia black without it and wish i was wrong.
    Martin

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

One can still find older cultivars that are FMV free. I have a Black Mission that is virus free and MAY have a Black Ischia (not 100% sure at this time) that is virus free.

Ed,

I was not the poster you remembered. However, I do have a FMV free Black Mission strain in my collection. The terminal buds are red and some leaf stems are a light rose color. My tree produces fruit that are the same size, shape, color, and texture as the store bought Black Missions figs that come from California. With the tree in my yard, I am able to let them soften (ripen) more so they taste great....not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Dan

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Sorry to get of subject but Dan if its possible can you post picture of your Black Ischia.
    This season i sent one out for lab work.
    Martin

• ejp3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan thanks for the reply. I sent you an e-mail.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Martin,

There is no direct uploading of pictures on this forum like on the figs4fun site. I don't like using photobucket....so, I won't be posting pictures anymore. When my new tree fruits for me I will know if it is the real McCoy.

Ed,
    My ISP recently moved me over to a new server. Since then I've been having sporadic problems with email......will reply when problem is resolved.

Dan

• arigato
    14 years ago

Willis has great customer service, but yes, their varieties are all wack. I have several of them unfortunately.

Does anyone want a few? I would be willing to ship them for postage if anyone is so inclined to have a few Willis unknowns.

• bonsaist
    14 years ago

I have a Black mission that came from a grower in Pittsburg where it has been for years. It's very vigorous and has produced in its first year. Not sure if it's a different strain or not.

Bass

• frozenjoe
    13 years ago

Dan,

Did you ever confirm that the FMV-free plant was a Black Ischia?

Joe

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Ed,
    i bought mine last season it comes from Monrovia grown at there Alameda place in California.
    It displayed some pinkish stems last season and gave a few ripe fruit .
    Still young plant.
    Also it has FMV, i have seen a ebay poster claim to be selling mission figs that are tissue cultured and virus free but cannot attest to that.
    Regardless the fruit tasted good last season and it may improve as it gets more mature as some fig plant do.
    {{gwi:822809}}
    Martin

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County